hello from newbie seeking advice

bakfietmum

Just Joined
May 9, 2011
Hi there, I've recently got myself a secondhand bakfiet (dutch cargobike), the two-wheeled type. Whilst I've enjoyed taking regular short journeys through town I recently decided to venture a little further than normal and found myself really struggling at what seemed to be a small incline. Onboard with me were my two young kids and it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped, despite being in the easiest gear :(
My history is that I used to cycle everywhere (before I had kids) I loved the freedom it gave me. I'd love to have that feeling again and be able to take my kids on longer fun journeys but getting over hills is proving very difficult. If anyone has any advice/recommendations for ebike conversion kits suitable for my bike it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends how much you want to spend and whether you are good at sorting out mechanical/electrical problems. If you are, you can get one of the cheap ones like this, for which support is reasonable:
28"/700C Ebike Electric Bike Conversion Kit- 8F28F36 | eBay UK
If you need a plug-and-play one with very straight-forward fitting, then you need to get a more expensive one from a reputable UK supplier. All the legal kits have about the same power, are fairly reliable and there's not a huge difference in their performance. The new Wisper DAA hub kit is probably the easiest to fit, good quality and has probably the best support, but costs quite a lot more. Ezee also do one that has a good reputation. There's now quite a lot of different kits coming onto the market.
If you want a more powerful, but not quite legal DIY kit, my favourite is the BPM kit from BMSbattery:
Bafang BPM Rear Driving E-Bike Kit - BMSBATTERY
They do it in front motor as well, or if you want a legal DIY kit from them, this is probably the best value DIY kit on the market:
Bafang QSWXH 250W Rear Driving E-Bike Kit - BMSBATTERY
If you order from them, make sure that you tick all the right boxes to get the right bits and battery etc. Their ordering system is a little complicated.
You pays your money and makes your choice. They all work.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi there, I've recently got myself a secondhand bakfiet (dutch cargobike), the two-wheeled type. Whilst I've enjoyed taking regular short journeys through town I recently decided to venture a little further than normal and found myself really struggling at what seemed to be a small incline. Onboard with me were my two young kids and it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped, despite being in the easiest gear :(
My history is that I used to cycle everywhere (before I had kids) I loved the freedom it gave me. I'd love to have that feeling again and be able to take my kids on longer fun journeys but getting over hills is proving very difficult. If anyone has any advice/recommendations for ebike conversion kits suitable for my bike it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Hello bakfietmum,

Welcome to Pedelecs forum.

Assuming you are located in the UK, you might like to contact Electric Transport Shop who can supply a Sparticle kit for your machine. The 20" front-wheel kit for Bakfiets cargo bikes is around £650. I expect they could fit it for you at extra cost.

CARGO BIKE CONVERSION KIT

They have shops in Cambridge, Oxford, London and Bristol

Regards
Bob

bakfietmum

Just Joined
May 9, 2011
Just wanted to thank you for your recommendations :) I'll look into these when I herb the chance. My budget is tight and I wouldn't consider myself much of a techie :( Either way, I'm determined to get something set up soon and will report back - thanks again.