Hello from UK/China

Supermoto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Hi,

I'm working out in China and am looking for something to do to fill my time and to get around. I can't get a drivers license here so that rules out a car or motorbike so I started looking at e-bikes. There are hundreds of scooter-type bikes available for next to nothing but I'm quite tempted by an assisted mountain bike as it would be something I could get some enjoyment out of and hopefully get a bit fitter too.
The Haibike xDuro hardseven 4.0 with a derestriction dongle looks pretty good from the initial research I've done but I'm new to bicycles and e-bikes so I'm open to suggestions!

SM

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I'm probably not the only one thinking that if you go for a chinese built bike its a bit like a kid in a sweetie shop. But presumably you want to do some proper mountain biking.

Supermoto

Sep 19, 2017
UK
Yes, you're right! There are some amazing scooters available for a few hundred quid. However, I'd like to get in better shape and also get into mountain biking and trail riding. Also, the Chinese quality can be ... "questionable".

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I was thinking about all the bikes we have for sale here that are mAnufactured and shipped over from China. Admittedly not the German ones. But most of the others. Oxygen, wisper, Woosh, juicy bike.

Reactions: Supermoto

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was thinking about all the bikes we have for sale here that are mAnufactured and shipped over from China. Admittedly not the German ones. But most of the others. Oxygen, wisper, Woosh, juicy bike.
Yes but they are mostly made for the export market... :D

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Yes. I did think that. But if you find the factory they will sell you one. I've got friends that buy fishing tackle wholesale from China. The same factory that makes the stuff for big players like nash or JRC will sell you exactly the same with no logo. I bet there's plenty of locals riding around on nearly identical bikes to the ones I mentioned . Made in the same factory. But probably a fraction of the price.

Supermoto

Sep 19, 2017
UK
The cheap badgeless ones are often the rejects from the big name. I'll be looking into it but don't want to be put off by poor quality.
I've been looking at the haibike hard tail series and the KTMs also caught my eye (you can probably guess why from my user name, they make decent supermotos). Any others I should be looking at?

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Hi mate. If you look on the mountain bike thread you will see quite a few other names that are serious emtbs. From memory popular are
HAibike
Scott
Cube
Mondraker
Lapierre
Trek
Giant

I'm sure now it's 6.30 pm here. If you put your original post in the emtb section their will
Be lots of relevant help and experience. Some of those guys chop and change and drop
Thousands on quality emtbs.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
The cheap badgeless ones are often the rejects from the big name. I'll be looking into it but don't want to be put off by poor quality.
I've been looking at the haibike hard tail series and the KTMs also caught my eye (you can probably guess why from my user name, they make decent supermotos). Any others I should be looking at?
If your not that bothered about price then you can't really go wrong with a Haibike or Ktm. You will never regret buying quality!

Supermoto

Sep 19, 2017
UK
Thanks tugwell, I'll have a look there.

Izzy, I've learnt the hard way over the years, if you buy cheap, you buy twice!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels