Hello, I'm new!

mishabgt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2011
Hi all, I'm Mike from Ipswich.
Currently I ride a fully pedal powered Schwinn Moab1 but am looking for an electric bike to commute and to give assistance towing my son.
I'm completely new to electric biking but want to learn, hence I'm here.

Hi welcome to the site.Have you considered a trike for getting your son around.I love mine, my sons far to old to go on the back but it might be safer for you both.The other traffic on the road gives you a wider birth, your more stable and you can carry your shopping aswell.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi
mishabgt

you will love it on here ,really nice folk ,you can get it wrong on here ,and help will flood in ,and our double act Funky and Farthing will leave you in stitches,very best wishes Brian.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what you are looking for but you will get plenty of suggestions on here.

I am also new to electric bikes and have had my Tonaro Enduro for 2 weeks. I am so impressed with it that I have just ordered my girlfriend an Tonaro Compy.

It has a motor in the crank as opposed to being in the hub of a wheel. This means I can turn the power off and use it as a normal bike. Here is my girlfriend doing just that while I am struggling to keep up on my racing bike.

YouTube - ‪Tonaro Enduro-WITHOUT power‬‏

My bike is from Powerpedals but you will also get great reports from Wisper bikes and Juicy bikes as well as all the self build guys. It really is a minefield, but also great fun.

Do lots of research and test lots of bikes is the general advice.

You will love it when you get one though.

Steve

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Mike
What length of journey wil you be making and what is you and your sons combined weight? I know Ipswich is relatively flat, but just to be sure, any hills on route?
...and welcome to the forum!

bikelover

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Love to ride

Hi All

I have recently started to ride again after many years of arthritis.

I thought I was resigned to a mobility scooter but then the company I purchased my old scooter from starting manufacturing electric bikes. I took the plunge and went for the E Tourer bike and I can not believe the freedom it has given me.

I am now a newly converted bike lover /////

mishabgt

Jun 23, 2011
Bob - I'm about 14 stone, my son is 15kg. My commute journey is about 8.5 miles each way (fairly flat) and would be looking at going round local forests (Rendlesham, Therford etc) which have proper tracks for walking/riding. I'm really interested to get a throttle option as we have no showers at work and so don't want to exert too much energy on the way there (can turn it off on the way home!)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Mike, you should be fine with a 10ah battery, especially if you can get a top up charge at work.
Very few bikes have less than 250 watt motors, nearly all are 36 volt.
All our bikes are available with full speed throttles, which is less typical.
I'm sorry there is no dealer near you in Ipswich.

mishabgt

Jun 23, 2011
Bob, thanks for the info. I've been looking at your website and although I can see pictures of the right hand side, can't see any of the left. Is the rear wheel a standard nut on the left hand side of the bike, or is there a wire (like with so many other electric rear hub bikes I've come across) that would mean I can't put my trailer hitch on to it?

If so, do you offer a front wheel drive option on the Sport (thus giving the standard nut/bolt axle mount that my trailer bracket requires)?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
No wires on the left Mike, and we've fitted trailers before...