Hello

Batholith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2018
Mid Wales
Hi
I just joined (obviously :))

I am in my early 60's with quite a few health problems, (prostate cancer, artificial knee, ...). Still working full time though (software developer) and getting an ebike for commuting (about 5km, 3km on the flat then a 180m climb on the way home) and perhaps a bit of trail riding (old railway lines!).

I am getting an ebike under the cycle to work scheme. Our scheme is through Cycle Solutions and I opted for their 5 yr free extended hire so I only pay the salary sacrifice for a year then no further fees. The scheme offered by my employer did not offer vouchers so there was a limited choice (Wisper SEs or Raleigh E-Motion both at just under £1K after a 10% scheme discount) and I have opted for the Wisper 905SE (for me a much better spec and nicer looking than the Raleigh for the same price). I would have preferred a Torque model but not under the £1K scheme limit and additional payments not allowed.

I have a bit of history with ebikes, I bought one of those Sinclair add-on motors years ago, that was close to useless (no, it was useless)! Then I had a Powabyke Euro, 5 speed I think, but neither the brakes nor the 200W motor was up to the hill, but I managed to sell it at not too much of a loss. After that I tried a kit (can't remember the make - American I think) that drove the rear wheel of my reasonably light Hybrid bike via a small chain and spoke adapter, that was better than the Powabyke, but then my workplace moved 35 miles away and I either had to drive or take the train. Then I got ill...

My workplace is now back near home and my employer started offering the scheme recently so here I am again! The bike hasn't been delivered yet (no stock when I ordered it 10 days ago) they told me that it would be mid August so I am frustrated as I want to try it out :). Anyway once the bike has been delivered I will let you all know how Cycle Solutions did and how I find the Wisper.

I would be interested to know about the best way to get a long battery life.

Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello and welcome to the forum, the Wisper is a pretty good choice as CS is good and company CEO (Daivid) is quite active on the forum, any issues you have will easily be dealt with via Cycle Solution or David.
Wisper batteries generally are very good and 5-7 years isn't uncommon.
Use them lots and often for longevity. Get yourself a cheap multi meter for battery checking
Charge them up at ambient temps and not freezing in the garage or shed.
Always fully charge prior to use (night before) so cell groups always stay balanced, undercharging leads to poor battery life and performance.
When not using a battery for weeks or months store in a cool place (not cold) and at storage voltage typically 38.5v though anywhere between 37 - 39v is fine and check every 2/3 weeks giving a 10min top up charge.

Batholith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2018
Mid Wales
Hello and welcome to the forum, the Wisper is a pretty good choice as CS is good and company CEO (Daivid) is quite active on the forum, any issues you have will easily be dealt with via Cycle Solution or David.
Wisper batteries generally are very good and 5-7 years isn't uncommon.
Use them lots and often for longevity. Get yourself a cheap multi meter for battery checking
Charge them up at ambient temps and not freezing in the garage or shed.
Always fully charge prior to use (night before) so cell groups always stay balanced, undercharging leads to poor battery life and performance.
When not using a battery for weeks or months store in a cool place (not cold) and at storage voltage typically 38.5v though anywhere between 37 - 39v is fine and check every 2/3 weeks giving a 10min top up charge.
Thanks that's useful advice, I had a look in the Wisper clinic on here and can see that David is very helpful too.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes