Help! Help buying first ebike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 625 2024 is a sensible choice but at £2699 it is rather pricey in the context of cycle to work. You still pay for it, albeit at C2W rate and you still have to maintain it.
For cycle to work, you can't really beat a hub bike. There is little or no maintenance with hub bikes, and you pay a lot less for it to start with.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

neonplanet40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2024
The Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 625 2024 is a sensible choice but at £2699 it is rather pricey in the context of cycle to work. You still pay for it, albeit at C2W rate and you still have to maintain it.
For cycle to work, you can't really beat a hub bike. There is little or no maintenance with hub bikes, and you pay a lot less for it to start with.

To be honest, every single company I found who had it cheaper added a cyclescheme 'surcharge' boosting the cost to over £3000. So getting it for 2699 and with my tax savings, I'll pay about £1500 for it in total.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think lots of people buy e-bikes through the cycle to work scheme also use their bikes for leisure cycling. On one hand I think if you have got the money and if it brings you pleasure, go for it. On the other hand, if people are using it mostly for roads / light trails, I would advise them to try a hub bike before they purchase, see what they prefer - I find it more relaxed as well as likely to be a lot cheaper, but I can understand why some would prefer a crank drive. To be fair, I am at the other end of the spectrum, my "road" e-bike is a 13 year old Halfords Carrera Vulcan that I bought for £50 , put a rear hub motor on , added the Woosh Bottom Bracket Torque Sensor kit (with power based assist levels ) and have "customised" with suspension seat post, mirror, mudguards and panniers. I don't think anyone will nick it !

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So getting it for 2699 and with my tax savings, I'll pay about £1500 for it in total.
I guess you are a higher rate taxpayer. you get your tax saving with every C2W scheme. With a £1500 C2W hub bike, you'd pay about £650-£750. Even if you add £150 extra charge, it's still well below your £1500 budget.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When buying your first eBike, prioritize factors like battery range, motor power, riding comfort, and price. Test ride different models, seek expert advice, and consider long-term maintenance and support.
One thing you mustn't do is use any range figures quoted by the seller or manufacturer. The numbers they give are usually extremely unrealistic. Instead, you should decide on the basis of battery capacity if range is an important factor for you. For some people, light weight is more important, which means you can't have a heavy high capacity battery. Those two factors are generally diametrically opposite to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Hi folks

I'm about to get my first ebike in UK through the halfords cycle2work scheme (it's the one my employer uses). So I am looking at options with a max spend of £3000 (schemes max amount). I will likely be buying online as a quick search on thr cycle2work independent dealer check doesn't show much in my area (central scotland).

In terms of me: I'm male, 6ft 6inches and about 112kg in weight.

My usage will mostly be on back paths and cycle paths. I won't be on the main road. Weather conditions in Scotland tend to be temperamental haha. Some hilly terrain but not mountain biking. Im not super fit. So looking at an urban type ebike. I like the idea of it have mudguards and pannier rack etc.

So far, I have posted the following as options:

Haibike Trekking 5
Specialized Vado 3.0 IGH
Cube Reaction Hybrid Performance 625
Cannondale equivalent

But I'm getting pretty overhwlemed with specs etc and not finding much in way of reviews for many of these, so hard to compare.

So I'm just looking some advice from folk on here who perhaps can compare the bikes and tell me if they are all much of a muchness or not. And whether there are others I need to consider.

Thank you.

You do know you don't OWN the bike at the end it is a LEASE and yes some will say you can then buy it cheap just remember it is not yours at all until you buy it at the end of the term.

neonplanet40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2024
You do know you don't OWN the bike at the end it is a LEASE and yes some will say you can then buy it cheap just remember it is not yours at all until you buy it at the end of the term.
I know. I've used the scheme before. As do many other people. I don't read about this being an issue as at the end of the day, you do get to keep it. For the tax savings I can make, its completely worth it. But I know that some others would rather pay the extra £1400 (in this case) than do this type of scheme. Each to their own though.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I think you will be fine with Cube, I bought a Cube cross hybrid pro 4 years ago. I am 100kg and i liked the Cube wheels because they have 36 spoke wheels. Mine has done 9000 miles now and it has done loads of great touring on and off road. my 625 battery still has 80% plus and the Bosch motor cx4 was updated to 85nm at an early service and I still get 40 plus miles using Tour most of the times.
I think also I can purchase a newish 625w downtube from a good company on ebay at about £400/500 cost, I think this is a reasonable cost if my present battery fails any time now. Anyway hope things with the Cube work out for you.