Help choosing bikeive

JanB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
hi everyone, what an interesting site this is. We are looking to buy electric bikes, budget probably about £2000 each bike. We live in NE Scotland so hard to find shops stocking them up here. We are going down to Electric Bikes Scotland (in Dundee) on Thursday to have a test ride on some Gazelle bikes.
What we are looking for are lightish bikes (have to lift onto bike rack of Motorhome) suitable for gravel tracks and hilly roads, decent range as we like to cover at least 50 km when on holiday.
So - question is does anyone own a Gazelle bike and would you give me your opinion on them please. Or can anyone recommend any other make or can someone recommend another make. We have seen Giant and I really don't like them, far too bulky even though I have been riding a superb Giant for the last 10 or more years. Can anyone in Scotland recommend a dealer - we live in Aberdeenshire.
The alternative is Raleigh but can't find anywhere that stocks them within reasonable distance to try them out. There is no way we want to buy sight unseen. Also do not want folding bikes - want a full size wheel!
Thanks in advance

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I had the same problem here in the Highlands 3+ years back, no chance of trying a selection of bikes unless I was prepared to travel many hundreds of miles. I did ring a bike shop in Dundee, they were very pleasant but at the time they only had one bike to try and that in the wrong size for me.
because of this I ended up converting one of my own bikes with a DIY kit and eventually buying a brand new pedal only bike and fitting the kit to it.
I've now got exactly the bike I want.
I'm not saying you should do this but if you have the simple skills required it's not difficult.
Welcome to the forum and hope you can resolve the problem.
Dave.

Reactions: LeighPing

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
If it's of any help, I live in NE Fife, about 10 miles south of the Dundee shop and would be happy to let you try my KTM EStreetP and my wife's Freego Eagle. PM me if you would like to try them.

Jim

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
(have to lift onto bike rack of Motorhome)
Any ebike matching your spec will be 20kg or more, which could present two problems.

Lifting the bike onto the motorhome rack, which I'm guessing could be shoulder height.

Bigger problem may be overall weight.

The rack, to be on the safe side, will need to be rated at 50kg.

I know nothing about motorhome racks, but it's a lot of weight for any rack.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I know nothing about motorhome racks, but it's a lot of weight for any rack.
Not sure about "budget" ranges but the likes of Thule do racks rated up to 60kg (and specifically mention suitability for ebikes).

Removing the battery first would make the bike 2 or 3 kilos lighter for lifting and maybe a "team lift" is a possibility if there are two of you?

Hope you get a good couple of test rides tomorrow!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure about "budget" ranges but the likes of Thule do racks rated up to 60kg (and specifically mention suitability for ebikes).

Removing the battery first would make the bike 2 or 3 kilos lighter for lifting and maybe a "team lift" is a possibility if there are two of you?

Hope you get a good couple of test rides tomorrow!
In a motorhome application it's not so much the rack as the mount.

Getting secure anchor points on the rear of a coachbuilt vehicle is not always straightforward, although some motorhomes have ladders on the back, so it can be done.

JanB

Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
our rack is OK A fiamma and can carry up to 4 bikes and the Motorhome is rated to carry up to 60kg on its back.
We are considering getting a tow bar rack fitted, think this will make life easier.

JanB

Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
If it's of any help, I live in NE Fife, about 10 miles south of the Dundee shop and would be happy to let you try my KTM EStreetP and my wife's Freego Eagle. PM me if you would like to try them.

Jim
Thanks Jim, we've ordered two Gazelle orange C7s. We were able to try a whole range of bikes so very impressed with Electric bike Scotland.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks Jim, we've ordered two Gazelle orange C7s. We were able to try a whole range of bikes so very impressed with Electric bike Scotland.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them. Please let us know how you get on with them.

Jim