Help me choose please

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
I currently have a sakura shopper bicycle which I do love but as I am on the shorter side of 5ft4" I find that the weight distribution is a bit difficult to handle. So I am going to sell her onto a new home and invest in a new bike. So, I would really appreciate some advice. I am female and petite and need the bike to be light-ish. I only bike to work and back which is 10 miles or so in total on mainly flat terrain with the odd hill.
My budget will stretch to about £800 which I know is not much in terms of electric bikes which is why I was hoping for some advice as to what you think would be fabby.
Thanks in advance

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi squimlet, welcome to the forum. My advice is to go and have a try. Where are you in the world?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
thank you. I am in sunny norfolk :)
James in Suffolk (Justebikes.co.uk) would be worth a visit perhaps ...
One member ... Norfolk Heatwave may have some advice as he has recently been through the choosing process! ..
Good luck! ..

C

Cyclezee

Hi Squimlet,

Welcome to the forum, interesting name BTW?

With your budget and frame size (yours, not bike), may I suggest that get a non-powered bike you really really like and fit a conversion kit or have one installed for you.

What ever you decide, try before you buy;)

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Hi squimlet
I also live in Norfolk, Norwich to be more precise and have just about finished converting a folder to electric,it will need a new home soon, If your interested and live near, you are more than welcome to come around and take it out for a test ride.
Its Started life as Apollo transition from Halfords now has an Sram Sparc kit fitted, Battery choices will be lead acid, Nimh, or PSI lifepo4. Approximate Weight: 16 to 18 kgs.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I currently have a sakura shopper bicycle which I do love but as I am on the shorter side of 5ft4" I find that the weight distribution is a bit difficult to handle. So I am going to sell her onto a new home and invest in a new bike. So, I would really appreciate some advice. I am female and petite and need the bike to be light-ish. I only bike to work and back which is 10 miles or so in total on mainly flat terrain with the odd hill.
My budget will stretch to about £800 which I know is not much in terms of electric bikes which is why I was hoping for some advice as to what you think would be fabby.
Thanks in advance
Hello and welcome.
My lady Joyce is 5'4" and fits perfectly onto a Dutch JuicyBike!
Tom

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Squimlet
I wish we had a stockist in Norwich because I know you'd benefit from a try on one of our Juicy Classics or Urban 20s, both of which should suit your height.
However, unless you're confident to take advice from forum members, it would be crazy to buy without trying first.
I'd advise travelling to find a stockist with decent bikes to compare: Wisper, Oxygen, Ultra Motor, Batri Bike to name a few that might just fit your pocket (Juicy Bikes will leave you with some change!!). A good guide is to look for the BEBA members who subscribe to an excellent code of practice.

Good Luck with your search.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I'd advise travelling to find a stockist with decent bikes to compare: Wisper, Oxygen, Ultra Motor, Batri Bike to name a few that might just fit your pocket (Juicy Bikes will leave you with some change!!). A good guide is to look for the BEBA members who subscribe to an excellent code of practice.

Very fair; very honest Bob. That same honesty about the product allied to the great service and post-sale back-up reported by members here is worth an awful lot to a great many people. I wish you continued success.

Regards,
Indalo

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
Hi Squimlet,

Welcome to the forum, interesting name BTW?
Thank you, its a long and very boring story
Hi squimlet
I also live in Norfolk, Norwich to be more precise and have just about finished converting a folder to electric,it will need a new home soon, If your interested and live near, you are more than welcome to come around and take it out for a test ride.
Its Started life as Apollo transition from Halfords now has an Sram Sparc kit fitted, Battery choices will be lead acid, Nimh, or PSI lifepo4. Approximate Weight: 16 to 18 kgs.
Thank you I will have a look and see if I can find it. Do you have any pictures please?
Hello and welcome.
My lady Joyce is 5'4" and fits perfectly onto a Dutch JuicyBike!
Tom
Some excellent advice. Clearly your lady and I are both wonderfully proportioned at the perfect 5ft4" ;)

Hi Squimlet
I wish we had a stockist in Norwich because I know you'd benefit from a try on one of our Juicy Classics or Urban 20s, both of which should suit your height.
However, unless you're confident to take advice from forum members, it would be crazy to buy without trying first.

Thank you, and you have rather a tempting website. It is rather a shame that you are not local to me.

Also I have been looking at the giant twist express which I saw in person today at the bike shop. I really liked it as its as light as my current normal bike. Also someone mentioned ebco which I had a look at but was not quite taken with. Anyone have any advice on the above?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The quality of the Giant Express is very good and it's unique torque sensor works well. The Sanyo motor it uses and it's performance are greatly improved on the earlier models.

Ebco are a quite new British outfit founded by two very well known, experienced and respected people in the cycle industry, and they are well funded. Nothing much known about the bikes yet as they are so new, but I'd expect them to be sound bicycles at least, given the founders history of producing good bikes. Obviously the answer with those is to try them to see if they are suitable.

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Do you have any pictures please?
Here are a few pictures with my Daughter riding the folder its her first time on an electric bike,this is also the first time the bike has been out since the conversion, she`s 5`4 and around 7.st she will be testing the electric bike out over the next few weeks for me.

Just noticed you have now got a Giant express congratulations I hope you have lots of fun Andy.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Small folding bike

We have our Kudos Cheetah and Kudos Versatile on special launch offer up to 13 August...the Cheetah is a full suspension bike,6-speed Shimano folder,priced £495.00...the Versatile is unusual in having the 3-speed Nexus hub gearing and rear luggage rack folder,priced £595.00...both bikes delivery free of charge...please check our website for photos and full specification.
Dave
Kudos Cycles