help please tiger cycles champion Montreal battery ????

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Guys,

My sister in law needs some help, she has managed to 'fry' her battery using the wrong charger !! The bike is a Tiger Cycles Champion Montreal ladies step thru model about 2 to 3 years old I think.
Anyone have any idea what type of battery it is ?
All we know is its a NIMH and I suspect its a 'typical of its genre' 24v 8.5ah.....would I be right and does anyone know where she could get another battery from ?
She has hardly used the bike and its in perfect condition....well, it would be if it had a battery :)

At the moment she would probably be happy with a half decent s/hand or if theres any possibility to repair it ?
I told her we had so many amazingly clever techie men on here that hopefully one of you can help her.....pleeease :)

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tiger only seem to make the Ontario model now, but it's probably the same battery as it's 24 volts 8.5 Ah.

Here's the contact page of their website and from there a nearest dealer can be located as well. They should be able to supply a new battery at a reasonable price.

There are very few e-bikes now using NiMh batteries, though that battery size was very common at one time.

A company called The Component Shop also supply replacement battery pack inserts, so they can be contacted to see if they have a suitable replacement and perhaps fit it as well.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Flecc, you are a star as usual ....thankyou very much i will pass on the info and hopefully she can sort something out.
I take it fixing the battery is out of the question.....

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't say without knowing what damage was done and what the wrong charger was. Somtimes it's no more than a an internal fuse blown or a connection broken. Most areas have auto electricians who can be located via Yellow Pages under the heading Car Electrics and it could be worth seeing if a friendly one would have a look at the battery. Even a mechanic at a friendly small local garage will often help with something like this.

Having a new cell pack inserted preserves the same battery case of course, so it returns it to new condition. A complication with NiMh is that they have a device called a thermistor in them, and the charger has to match that. Whoever fits a new cell pack inside needs to know that and refit the original thermistor correctly.

As the problem was caused by the wrong charger, does your friend have the correct one?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks Flecc......and yes she does have the right charger, she just happened to plug her husbands charger in by mistake, but I'm not sure how as 1 battery has the normal fitting and hers has a kettle type......I'll check on that.
thanks again

Lynda :)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

It sounds like you plugged in the mains lead direct into the battery without her charger in line and bang the pack is damaged as per a previous Thread

Frank