Hi all, new here from Vancouver, Washington. Have recently bought a used 2017 Raleigh Route IE. I rode it daily unfortunately for me it rains daily !

WA. Rain Rider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2022
Vancouver, WA.
It's all good though as rain gear and rubber boots make for dry gear when I reach my destinations. Felt I was pedaling like a madman and getting overrun by the midmotor so I upgraded to A 50 tooth narrow wide chainring and purchased a new KMC 10x ebike chain to replace and lengthen the factory chain which was short a couple rings. I'm not sure if it was recommended but I feel as if it improved the ride considerably.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Welcome WA Rain Rider!

On your side of the pond Raleigh (Currie) is a totally different proposition to the range of Raleigh e-bikes we see here in the UK. We see precious few 350w/28 MPH motors fitted to any ready-manufactured e-bikes (legally, we're mostly restricted to 250w/15.5 MPH), and very few manufacturers ever used the TranzX mid-motors you get more commonly there.

I'd be wary about replacing your 42-tooth chainring with a larger 50-tooth on a M07 TranzX motor (if that is indeed the motor fitted on your Route IE model as EBR show). Neither of the long discontinued M07 and M25 mid-motors took kindly to being overly stressed.

The TranzX mid-motors used in the UK/EU were de-tuned to meet the lower power and speed requirements of the law, so total failures are rare by comparison.

WA. Rain Rider

Jan 20, 2022
Vancouver, WA.
Welcome WA Rain Rider!

On your side of the pond Raleigh (Currie) is a totally different proposition to the range of Raleigh e-bikes we see here in the UK. We see precious few 350w/28 MPH motors fitted to any ready-manufactured e-bikes (legally, we're mostly restricted to 250w/15.5 MPH), and very few manufacturers ever used the TranzX mid-motors you get more commonly there.

I'd be wary about replacing your 42-tooth chainring with a larger 50-tooth on a M07 TranzX motor (if that is indeed the motor fitted on your Route IE model as EBR show). Neither of the long discontinued M07 and M25 mid-motors took kindly to being overly stressed.

The TranzX mid-motors used in the UK/EU were de-tuned to meet the lower power and speed requirements of the law, so total failures are rare by comparison.
I've been riding it consistently and at least here is the U.S. it appears to behave like it gives the rider even less work out when going up or downhill. Don't get me wrong thinking that is the goal as I only recently owned non ebikes and am fully used to pedalling my 150lb skinny self around all day everyday. I do a lot of night riding and when I got the bike the previous owner took the system powered Tail light off for some unknown reason to me and left the wiring intact. It doesn't appear like it came with lights so I haven't got a clear picture of what came off it. I also noticed that the sheer range or distance it goes is less than I'd prefer so I would like to come across another Bosch 400-500 pwrpack to carry along however, the retail price is a little steeper than I can handle currently. Lol.

WA. Rain Rider

Jan 20, 2022
Vancouver, WA.
After researching the computer system I definitely want to upgrade to incorporate Bluetooth capabilities and start taking advantage of my ride statistics,setting options etc. Which system is the most convenient to switch to and my question is do I need to take it to a Raleigh dealer to have them sync/flash it upon upgrading before it will work?