Hi from Cornwall

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Mike, agree with the state of things in our neck of the woods in the SW. I have to admit that on my first visit to a dealer I thought that I'd do this, this, and this to get what I want. But as a newbie that could be a costly venture, hmmmm will sleep on this.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
look at a CD kit for idea. It took me a couple of hours to fit one of those.
It's not the only choice, but it's still a good choice for your hills.

D

Deleted member 4366

I find thumb throttle a bit too easy to push too far, making the bike jump, twist throttle is more natural. Maybe something to do with the spring.
Also, I don't have throttle on my bike, so may be not a good judge.
If you have front and rear shifters, where do you put the thumb throttle?
and I wonder why nobody's made a horizontal one, like one of those old bells, where you don't have to take the grip and brake handle out to fit a thumb throttle.
A thumb throttle fits snugly by the grip. There's room on most bikes. I think that they give more precise control. When your pedalling the bike, you need something solid to grip. You can hardly control the bike when the full width throttle rotates. Plus, when you walk the bike, it's too easy to accidentally rotate a full-width throttle.

Reactions: D C

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Truro Pastyman
Just as a comparison to your Bugle experience you may like to have a go on my converted 27 speed hybrid. Maybe on Mitchell Hill or similar. May help you decide which way to go I think.
Let me know. I often bike into Truro from Perranwell along the lanes.
Tony

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Hi Truro Pastyman
Just as a comparison to your Bugle experience you may like to have a go on my converted 27 speed hybrid. Maybe on Mitchell Hill or similar. May help you decide which way to go I think.
Let me know. I often bike into Truro from Perranwell along the lanes.
Tony
Ha, we can't be that far apart, my first incline would be station road, then up or around old carnon hill. It's a small world.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Many thanks to falmouthtony for paying a visit, and letting me have a go. Certainly convinced me that in our neck of the woods more than the usual supplied 7 gears are needed. Liked the eZee conversion very much.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
now you've had a go on the ezee (some say they are the best of the hub kits out there), how do you compare the axcess Mustang with falmouthtony's conversion?

D

Deleted member 4366

You needed seven gears? Send it back to Cyclezee. There must be something wrong with it!:)

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
now you've had a go on the ezee (some say they are the best of the hub kits out there), how do you compare the axcess Mustang with falmouthtony's conversion?
With the ezee, far better assist selection, rather than just low/mid/high. Seemed like more torque, that it could tackle anything, a pleasure to ride.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the supernova has carbon fork, so I guess you are going for CD kit to keep that lovely Alex wheelset?

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Its a crying shame that there is no factory version of the crank drive kit that takes 2 or 3 rings, it would make for some superb conversions and keep the same gearing and wheel set as original.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it shouldn't be that difficult to make, just an issue of volume I suppose.
the supernova has 10 speed cassette.
spider adapter for BBS01

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a great kit, do keep us posted with your build!