Hi from Sunny Swindon

Rob Hardy

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2016
swindon
I bought my wife a used electric bike and i volunteered to ride it home for her. I LOVED IT . I described it like as riding on a slight downward slope, with the wind behind me. So i had to get one I am now the proud owner of an Izip Santa Cruz folding bike. I am the wrong side of 60 so the electric support really suits me.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Welcome aboard Rob. :)

I've given quite a few random people their first ride on my ebike at the local country park. They never fail to cheer up. Enjoy yours mate. :)

Revoli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
I am a former cycling (and running, swimming, tennis, sailing etc) fanatic. I have a top of range (at time of purchase) Scott genius RC10 ((Carbon throughout, even the seat, Shimano XTR top of range groupset). I used this for climbing up mountains on the Alps whilst the lazy folk took their bikes up on the ski lift before riding down again. I also used to lead a group on off road rides, 25 to 50 miles with loads of mud, invariably requiring jet washers at end. Where I live we have wonderful off road trails. I also have a Team Raleigh road bike from the 80s, 531 throughout Campagnolo bits, again top of range in its day. Now just excellent old tech. I also have Brompton for my former commute. Oh and another Scott hardtail, aluminium with Shimano XTR throughout. Bikes everywhere. 6 years ago I was struck down with a heart condition called Myocarditis. This has left me unable to ride much at all. If I have a good day I can do some slow flats. That situation is not likely to improve so got to find ways to crack on.

Now here's the challenge. I am looking at ebikes as a way to get back in the saddle. Do I convert an existing bike or go for a new one. Budget is restricted so conversion looks better bet but the plethora of options is staggering. I am slowly reading the forums but will take any pointers. I have been looking at these http://www.mate.bike. Seems a lot of bang for the buck. Would get me mobile quickly. The other option I like is converting the Carbon Scott. See my separate post on that. I should add if I cannot do something to a bike mechanically it's probably not possible to do. I also do electric stuff (valve amps a favourite) so a project is possible as a slow burner. I would however like to get mobile soonest. Ideally I would like all my bikes to be electric but my money tree has withered. So what should I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The mate looks like a common Chinese build, given the price the components are unlikely to be top grade, otherwise they would say so.
As an ex cyclist the basic kits are not as sweet to ride as a torque sensor set.
I suspect the one you would enjoy the most would be a bosh/ yanmar job.
Bout for cost reasons the BBS01 is hard to beat.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi
For ease of use something like the Bosch powered Raleigh Motus would be hard to beat. See my and other peoples posts about it. You could easily afford it by selling one or other of your good bikes. Bromptons would be popular secondhand.
Option 2 would be to stick a front hub motor onto the 1980 Raleigh road bike , a little more work but from your comments easy for you. That way you get the feel for it without much expenditure.
I would not suggest electrifying the carbon fibre bike. As a battery and motor will cost 6kg , it would no longer be an ultralight bike.

Revoli

Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
Thanks for all the replies. I am researching each. No rush. The Scott conversion is an obvious one but trashing an ultra light carbon fibre bike that's in tip top condition is a psychological challenge! The Raleigh is in the loft so would make sense but is a hard ride - a young mans game. I need a bit of armchair. What I really should do is sell it to the vintage collectors out there but had it so long....... Or sell all three and really go to town on a build on the alloy Scott. So many choices!!! Thanks again. Will report back. Oh I researched the Mate bike fairly thoroughly and am now an official backer/investor in the company. Basically means I get a bike half price at some point in the future..... could be yonks. May end up with the wife while I ride something with more grunt. I can see this might become an expensive hobby........ best sell something quick.....

• Agree

Revoli

Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
I bought my wife a used electric bike and i volunteered to ride it home for her. I LOVED IT . I described it like as riding on a slight downward slope, with the wind behind me. So i had to get one I am now the proud owner of an Izip Santa Cruz folding bike. I am the wrong side of 60 so the electric support really suits me.
I rode a friends for first time yesterday (near Marlborough) in that glorious weather. Clinched it. I am officially a convert. Given I used to take the mickey out of people using the ski lifts to get their bikes up mountains in the Alps as being wimps that is quite a conversion. Needs must.

Revoli

Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
If it were me, with all those bikes you have, I'd buy a special offer kit from Oxydrive and stick it on one of them. I only have one kit bike and no knowledge of other brands. I'm just happy with mine.

http://www.oxydrive.co.uk/electric-bike-kit/

Here's my bike.

The guy without a helmet is riding it here.

Same again, hill climb test.

Thanks. Very interesting. Just emailed them with a bunch of questions.

PS. Worth having helmets on these things.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for all the replies. I am researching each. No rush. The Scott conversion is an obvious one but trashing an ultra light carbon fibre bike that's in tip top condition is a psychological challenge! The Raleigh is in the loft so would make sense but is a hard ride - a young mans game. I need a bit of armchair. What I really should do is sell it to the vintage collectors out there but had it so long....... Or sell all three and really go to town on a build on the alloy Scott. So many choices!!! Thanks again. Will report back. Oh I researched the Mate bike fairly thoroughly and am now an official backer/investor in the company. Basically means I get a bike half price at some point in the future..... could be yonks. May end up with the wife while I ride something with more grunt. I can see this might become an expensive hobby........ best sell something quick.....

" May end up with the wife while I ride something with more grunt. I can see this might become an expensive hobby........ best sell something quick....."

While not seeking to be rude perhaps this phrasing might be improved. A "ride" has a particular meaning in Ireland

• :D

Revoli

Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
" May end up with the wife while I ride something with more grunt. I can see this might become an expensive hobby........ best sell something quick....."

While not seeking to be rude perhaps this phrasing might be improved. A "ride" has a particular meaning in Ireland
Lol. Must read posts before sending.

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
I can see this might become an expensive hobby........ best sell something quick.....
Reminds me of a saying - Give a man a fish and he and his family will eat for a day.... Teach a man to fish and he will spend all his money on tackle and his family will starve..... :)

• :D