Hi from West Sussex and London

J2Bs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2014
Hi there,

I've been meaning to register on here for ages - should have done it sooner! Great site and some very helpful members.

I have been riding around and in and out of London for the past 10 years or so, but now commue in on the train.

The last couple of years I've been loving my Brompton (M3L), especially now commute from West Sussex. The Brompton is a gem for use on the train and the 1.5 miles from home to station and then station to the office.

We're moving house this week and will be living up the top of a hill which is another 0.5 mile on top of the already hefty 1.5 uphill (stand-up in 2nd gear) return cycle I do in the evening. The cycle home at the moment is just about acceptable for my reasonable fitness and to do in my work clothes, but I reckon the added half mile stand up hill would build cycling resentment pretty quickly!

So, been looking at fitting a Nano to my Brompton. Any recommendations, or things I should bear in mind? Anyone in London, around Sussex or nearby that fit these?

I've already got a Brompton bag that I could put the battery in. Would I also still be able to get my laptop in there?

I reckon I'll just go for the smallest battery as can charge it at my desk, and would only use the motor to help get me up the hill in the evening.

Anything else I should be considering??

Thanks all,

James

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Electric Transport Shop (there is a branch in London) fit a Brompton kit (that I have). It does make the bike quite heavy to carry about on / off trains. You should still fit a laptop in the bag with the battery. http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/
'Nano' conversions are based further west in Leamington Spa but their website says they have demo's available in London. http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/
I have dealt with both companies and found them very good.

J2Bs

Jan 19, 2014
Nice one, thanks loads for your feedback and suggestions Jonah. Think a couple test rides are called for! Cheers

J2Bs

Jan 19, 2014
It's a shame that nobody at nano electric bikes seems to want to answer the phone. Doesn't say much for likely customer service!