Hi....in need of KTM advice....

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
managing 36 miles on South Downs Way
Sorry to derail the thread. Is that the hill leading up from Pycombe/Clayton up to Ditchling Beacon. If it is, it's certainly a very fast and scary hill to ride down, particularly the lower section, and it must have been quite a lengthy climb up.

I'm back down that way again this coming weekend to take part in an Evans ride it event. :)http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit-brighton-mtb-ride-30th-august-2014 I'm currently unsure whether to risk it on the BH with it's dire reliability, or whether to just bite the bullet, and use a newly acquired pedal MTB. I'll probably do the latter. :)

Chris42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2014
Ref knobblies, you would be suprised at what you can get away with on the KTM's OE schwalbe marathon plus tyres. They are actually pretty good considering that they aren't off road biased.
On the Haibike Cross, I run a Marathon plus on the rear and a Shwalbe cyclo tyre on the front. The cyclo cross tyre is lighter and just gives that extra added confidence.

Parking aside, Lewes is still a great place. :)
And the post office at Alfriston makes for a fantastic stop off point on a ride for a bit of grub. It's a shame that Rodmell doesn't have anything to offer in respect of that.
You're absolutely right, I ran some marathons on the old MTB before I got the tricross, made a huge difference but didn't over come the gear ratio issue whilst on the road...I also have a Dahon mu sl folder with shwalbe slicks....I once rode it home ...NEVER AGAIN comical yes, but NEVER AGAIN! Incidentally I went back to Lewes a couple of years back, as I missed one of my greatest passions.....a decent pint of Harvey's in the Gardeners Arms....and noticed that it must be the first cafe pyramid scheme.....whereby if one cafe owner fails to eat in another's cafe all 3000 Lewes cafés will spontaneously implode.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Chris42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2014
Harvey's, now you are just teasing me. :D

I really must get around to doing the tour one day. Rumour has it that there is a three year waiting list!

St Austell Tribute is actually my preferred choice though. :)
St Awful does indeed have a decent brew in Tribute, but for me Skinners Cornish Knocker wins out down here! I believe the Harvey's tour is a good'un....I did it many years ago and have only vague recollections so it must have been good! Damn .....I've been found out....one of the keys to proper riding practice being the odd 'hydraulic sandwich' enroute.

Hi,

I'm working from my phone, so I'm sorry I can't reply in depth.

But hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

Panasonic drive range is same size as last year, we trying to make more of each bike to keep up with demand! It's just as others have said that the eCross p now comes with mudguardand lights fitted ( because a high % of customers wanted them) and its called eStreet p.

It's no more costly so you can just remove them if you don't want them and then you have an eCross p with a light.

Battery size is also increasedfor 2015 to 562w again with no price increase so it'll easily do the mileage you are looking at.

Regards
Col

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
46.8V / 12Ah = 562 Wh

Col - Will the new larger capacity battery plug&play in older 2014 models? is the battery the same size and weight? The older 8.8Ah battery is giving me more than enough range and capability just looking forward a few years when it'll need replacing/upgrading.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The 2015 eStreet P has a RRP of £2099.99

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Like the thought....but if I go with more power (the endeavour is a 28mph rated bike?) I may as well go the whole hog and dust off the old triumph...so there is a balance to be struck. I've also had enough bike accidents over years to try and keep legal....the rozzers would not even think about checking the bike out....but the lawyers would if I dive into the side of (yet another) taxi!
You should try a Focus Thron Premium - won a couple of ExtraEnergy awards this year as the best all-terrain e-bike. Bigger battery capacity than the KTM, crank drive with 70Nm torque, full suspension.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/all-terrain/thron_impulse_premium.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/all-terrain.html

Takes some beating - I've been all over the South Downs on one of those. We've a couple of them in our Shoreham-by-Sea showroom at the moment.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
There is also a full suspenion version with Panasonic hub drive. The same system which won the mountain test beating Impulse, Bosch amongst other motors. Retail is just £2699 with the larger battery. Battery capacity is only slightly smaller than bike above plus it is nearly £1000 less :)eLYCAN 2015.png

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
There is also a full suspenion version with Panasonic hub drive. The same system which won the mountain test beating Impulse, Bosch amongst other motors. Retail is just £2699 with the larger battery. Battery capacity is only slightly smaller than bike above plus it is nearly £1000 less :)View attachment 9429
where does one get a copy of the mountain test, it sounds gripping reading to a nerd like me..

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Europe’s leading e-bike magazine “ElektroRad” tested several e-bikes focusing on their climbing qualities. Result: Highest reach and highest efficiency for KTM's Panasonic equipped eBike !, and the Germans know a thing or two about testing eBikes.

"About 20% on average on the uphill section. All the bikes are given the same route, rider + bike = 100kgs, batteries charged to full. The race continues until the batteries run out.

From Regenhuette, they set off for 6.7km on fairly flat ground to the bottom of the mountain (800m altitude) then climb up to Arberseehaus (1000m altitude), the steepest section is 25%. Most of the weak bikes die here. Only the KTM with Panasonic motor carried on to Bretterschachten (1200m altitude), the average gradient is around 22% on this section. The KTM with the Panasonic hub drive is the best by far.

Very impressive."

Link below

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.730098453682963.1073741853.200160223343458&type=1

Hope this helps.

Reactions: EddiePJ

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Europe’s leading e-bike magazine “ElektroRad” tested several e-bikes focusing on their climbing qualities. Result: Highest reach and highest efficiency for KTM's Panasonic equipped eBike !, and the Germans know a thing or two about testing eBikes.

"About 20% on average on the uphill section. All the bikes are given the same route, rider + bike = 100kgs, batteries charged to full. The race continues until the batteries run out.

From Regenhuette, they set off for 6.7km on fairly flat ground to the bottom of the mountain (800m altitude) then climb up to Arberseehaus (1000m altitude), the steepest section is 25%. Most of the weak bikes die here. Only the KTM with Panasonic motor carried on to Bretterschachten (1200m altitude), the average gradient is around 22% on this section. The KTM with the Panasonic hub drive is the best by far.

Very impressive."

Link below

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.730098453682963.1073741853.200160223343458&type=1

Hope this helps.
many thanks..

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Sorry to derail the thread. Is that the hill leading up from Pycombe/Clayton up to Ditchling Beacon. If it is, it's certainly a very fast and scary hill to ride down, particularly the lower section, and it must have been quite a lengthy climb up.

I'm back down that way again this coming weekend to take part in an Evans ride it event. :)http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit-brighton-mtb-ride-30th-august-2014 I'm currently unsure whether to risk it on the BH with it's dire reliability, or whether to just bite the bullet, and use a newly acquired pedal MTB. I'll probably do the latter. :)
Yup! There's a man who knows his Downs and his chalk, steep and scary yes, but not at my sort of speed. Have to say the eRaceP climbed it fine.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The mountain test referred to above is a very curious one. It seems like a simple idea but exactly what is being tested is not clear. As no one (to my knowledge) claims vast differences in efficiencies between motors, the only logical conclusion is that the Panasonic drive gave substantially less assistance than all the other motors in the test. This would not usually be considered a selling point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Panasonic hub motor but I don't think that this test 'proves' that it is better or more powerful than Bosch / Impulse etc.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Fair point but I have ridden all three and prefer the Panasonic hub drive myself. This is despite selling more Bosch bikes. One of the reasons I like it is you have a front chain ring so the gear ratio is around twice that of most crank drives. In the highest assistance mode it provides 400% asssistance. It is down to personal choice. That is why it is always best to try a few different models with a variety of motors.

Reactions: TinKitten

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Fair point but I have ridden all three and prefer the Panasonic hub drive myself. This is despite selling more Bosch bikes. One of the reasons I like it is you have a front chain ring so the gear ratio is around twice that of most crank drives. In the highest assistance mode it provides 400% asssistance. It is down to personal choice. That is why it is always best to try a few different models with a variety of motors.
That's another reason that I like hub drive so much. The freedom of choice to select different gearing is pretty much infinite. The same can't be said about about crank drive.
Arguments about wheel changing* don't stack up either. I can remove and replace the rear wheel on either the BH or on the superb KTM that I tested, in less than five minutes. In fact it's easier than on my Haibike.

*Someone will throw it up.