Hi

Jason 72

Just Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Lincoln
Hi i'm Jason i am looking into buying an E bike for commuting to work. I have a budget of about £1500 any ideas?

Thanks

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Jason :)

How far is your commute?
Hilly or flat?
Will you go off road?
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?
Do you prefer/dislike any particular bike type?

Gaz

Jason 72

Just Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Lincoln
Hi, My commute is about 10 miles round trip. Hilly on the way home, i don't really need to go offroad. My height is 5ft 7ins i weigh about 14st.

I like mtb's hybrid and even folding

Thanks

Jason

D

Deleted member 4366

Just about any bike will work for you, which makes it virtually impossible to recommend one. In that price range, the Oxygen S-cross MTB is very popular. I guess that it's because it can be derestricted to go pretty fast. If that's not important to you, then any bike would be OK. Take your pick. every different one has its own advantages and disadvantages.

If you're good with the spanners, there's some nice ones on Ebay. I wouldn't say that they're any more or less reliable than anything else, but if something does go wrong, you'll have to sort it yourself. If you're ham-fisted and non-technical, you need to buy from a local dealer to get things sorted. Halfords have some reasonable bikes and the prices are not bad if you use all the discount schemes, and they normally give big discounts themselves on bank holiday weekends.

Just about all electric bikes have something that needs sorting soon after you buy them - mainly small problems that you can fix yourself if you know how. Big problems are not very common on any bike, but they do happen.

The only bike I would avoid at the moment is any one with the Kalkhoff Impulse motor in it. They seem to have a lot of reliability issues. definitely don't buy a used one.

If you choose a bike, we can probably advise you on its strong and weak points - if it has any.

The cheapest bikes work and are most likely adequate for what you need. Like many things, spending more money follows a rule of diminishing returns. If you have money to spare, you can get a better bike, but it would be hard to justify spending more money on the basis of needs or costs.

Reactions: Gaz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi, My commute is about 10 miles round trip. Hilly on the way home, i don't really need to go offroad. My height is 5ft 7ins i weigh about 14st.

I like mtb's hybrid and even folding

Thanks

Jason
Hi Jason,

The Woosh Rio MTB may be worth a look. It's very good on hills, has a decent range, comfortable and well equipped.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

For foldable bikes, I suggest the Woosh Zephyr 2017 which is similarly equipped:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

seanwang199037

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Cardiff
Hi i'm Jason i am looking into buying an E bike for commuting to work. I have a budget of about £1500 any ideas?

Thanks
Introducing the Smacircle S1, the world’s most compact and lightweight (only 15.4lbs) backpack e-scooter.
No need to get the subway or spend money on parking, the carbon fiber S1 is folded in five simple steps and is light enough to fit in a backpack. City travel can now be easy and fun.
Feature rich with iOS and Android apps it is ideal for the connected commuter.
More information: https://www.smacircle.com/

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Thanks
Are your employers signed up for the Cycle To Work Scheme? That can save you a fortune - well, hundreds of pounds (more if you're a higher tax payer, which is so wrong BTW).

We offer on-line quotes for many different schemes and allow payments to be made to cover any difference between the £1,000 scheme limit and the actual price of the bike chosen.

If they're not on any scheme then it is very easy for them to join, costs them nothing and your colleagues will benefit too.

In the meantime you need to fall in love with a bike...