how do i make it go faster?

D

Deleted member 4366

I believe police do not have time to really spend badgering cyclist.
They have more important things to do like think about there paycuts / Jobs - and bacon!

You'll never take me alive!
You're right about the unlikelihood of getting stopped. The problem comes when a pedestrian jumps out on you without looking and you break their arm. Then the police will certainly check you bike, and when they find that it's illegal, you'll be automatically to blame and they'll charge you with various motoring offences, which could put your driving licence in jeopardy. The injured party would be able to sue you for about £10,000, for which you'd have no defence. Also, if you get knocked down by a car when the driver doesn't look, it'll still be your fault and you'll have to pay for his damage and stress because you shouldn't have been there. That's the main problem with illegal bikes!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I pedal on the flat at around 20mph takes a bit more effort to get past that speed espcially if there is wind. Hardly think he would get noticed.

Don't get an E moped, you'll look like a tool.
Sorry, my typo. I meant he would get noticed at 25mph that was mentioned. At 20 its easy to blends in but I think the extra 5 would be obvious as very few cyclists can cruise at that speed for long.
I'll agree about looking daft on the small electric mopeds, they aren't a lot faster than an ebike.

boghopper

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2011
D8veh is right, the issue is having an accident and getting sued. If you are going to go fast on a shared path you need to be ultra considerate.

There is no point comparing ebikes with mopeds, they appeal to different people. I have a car If I want to use the road and sit down all the way. Also, I don't want to leave a moped out on my street. I store my bike in the shed.

Also its an efficiency thing. An ebike is designed to be as light as possible, making it able to use a very low power motor and get you from a to b for just a few pence. Less than a shower in the morning!

Ok so maybe 20mph unassisted would be a sensible limit. This feels like a good speed when on a normal bike on the road...25 with pedalling...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
D8veh is right, the issue is having an accident and getting sued. If you are going to go fast on a shared path you need to be ultra considerate.

There is no point comparing ebikes with mopeds, they appeal to different people. I have a car If I want to use the road and sit down all the way. Also, I don't want to leave a moped out on my street. I store my bike in the shed.

Also its an efficiency thing. An ebike is designed to be as light as possible, making it able to use a very low power motor and get you from a to b for just a few pence. Less than a shower in the morning!

Ok so maybe 20mph unassisted would be a sensible limit. This feels like a good speed when on a normal bike on the road...25 with pedalling...
Now you've lowered your speed I would tend to agree. Aiming for 25mph or higher becomes expensive for an ebike for the reasons stated earlier also neither low powered, light weight or efficient...

D

Deleted member 4366

Some mopeds are the same as a bicycle except that they have motors. Would this one fit in your shed?
SOLEX S4800 NEW IN BOX MODEL RED VELOSOLEX | eBay UK

boghopper

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2011
heh thats really cute, they have been around a while havent they?

theres definitely something more satisfying about an electric bike - quiet, low cost, cheap to run, no tax, insurance, traffic. aah its a breezy joy...

i hope its sunny tomorrow :)