How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
have same thing in mine and not have that problem with it, dont have it to tight in mine tho or drives me nuts.

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Finally back on singletrack after getting replacement crank for my Macina Freeze. A short ride today, and a longer one planned for tomorrow.

It has been raining and the rocks are super slippery.
1 - On the rocks.jpg
2- Jump.jpg

Yesterday was also very windy.3 - Windy.jpg

Tree fungi for you nature lovers4 - nature.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: EddiePJ

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
How fast were you going to end up on the hedge. Like that.;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A while back, I mentioned that I had a new Met helmet, and can't remember if it was you that had also been looking at them.

At the time, I said that it was great, but now I'm not quite so sure about it. I had read reviews and some had reported an issue with the rear adjustment band cutting in at the back of the neck.
I've found that to be okay, but what is happening is that the brow band seems to be giving me a headache. In can only be this, as there is no headache before riding and it goes away quick enough after. The helmet isn't uncomfortable, and in fact it's the opposite, but something isn't quite right with it.
I had an issue with my last helmet, a Casco Sportiv-TC. The fabric band that runs around the circumference of the head, used to just touch the crease of my ears, where the top of the ear joins the head.
It would chafe after a few hours riding and made it uncomfortable to wear over long periods.

Maybe it's just my alien shaped noggin :p

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Today I broke a chain, not repairable out on ride (or back at home for that matter) it's mullered! It snapped while negotiating a tricky and slippy, rocky byway as I was pedaling uphill just after a downhill stretch.
Thankfully I was able to spin the pedals and use the throttle to get myself back home with my oxydrive CST powering me back the last 6 road miles of the ride...
[emoji15]

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Today I broke a chain, not repairable out on ride (or back at home for that matter) it's mullered! It snapped while negotiating a tricky and slippy, rocky byway as I was pedaling uphill just after a downhill stretch.
Thankfully I was able to spin the pedals and use the throttle to get myself back home with my oxydrive CST powering me back the last 6 road miles of the ride...
[emoji15]
Took me a while to understand how this would work, but think I've got it. So you spin the pedals which does nothing (as you've binned the chain) other than allow the throttle to give power to the hub motor and head home on pure hub power?

Wouldn't work for me as I have crank drive, but that's definitely an advantage of hub over crank which I hadn't thought of before.

Reactions: SpezElec

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Spinning the pedals will power the hub motor (pedalec sensor) even without the chain. I mainly used the throttle alone but spun when going past the mamils to give the impression that 20mph was requiring some kind of effort!
You're right, a crank drive system would have left me in the lurch with no other option than to scoot it [emoji39]

Reactions: mab13

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
At least you didn't smash the crown jewels when the chain snapped.
I always carry a spare chain and a few snap links, just in case.
I think I'll be carrying a spare chain from now on. I was lucky to not have been much more than 6 miles from home but I've never had a chain go on me before.
The "jewels" were saved by the dropper post as I had it fully up so didn't need to be off the saddle [emoji106]

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
As the weather is closing in and the trails getting muddier it seem that mudguards are becoming nessasary. Saw the frankenguard that EddiePJ has fitted but don't think I could cope with that much function over style. I have found these and hope look a little better I71WjDx3kR9L._SL1500_.jpg 140328_1.jpg will report back when I have fitted them and used them in anger.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I hope that you get on better with the front guard than I did. I snapped two of them in a row, and gave up after that. :(
I also have a rear one in the same style as you have shown, but again didn't get on with it. I can't remember why though at this moment.

I really rate my Mucky Nutz front guard and the scud rear one is brilliant. I'd rather have none at all though, but going out for three or four hours in a winter evening and returning with water running where it shouldn't soon looses it's appeal.

The Scud launcher is a thing of beauty! :D

Joking aside, it does a brilliant job of keeping the upper suspension linkages free from mud and water, and a second guard that I have yet to fit, shields the rear shock and other linkages.

Speaking of function. What do you reckon to my urban explorer/city cruiser!

E-mtb version to follow!:D

Last edited:

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Absolutely love the urban cruiser and when it's running the gyroscope effect will keep you upright. I could have done with that bike to help me through these! 2015-08-30 13.12.33.jpg 2015-08-30 12.43.21.jpg

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I had a great ride Sunday morning. Bike worked great and it was warm and nice. 35km, mostly singletrack.

Rise and shine!
1 - rise and shine.jpg

Enter the mud season2 - mud.jpg

Sunny, warm and dry also.
3 - tree.jpg

If rocks and roots are slippery - try these duckboards when wet. Almost like ice.4 - pitkospuut.jpg

Now where's the trail now?
5 - trail.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
see got a new hub ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Lovely place to ride Sherman, and actually very similar including the duck boards and roots, to somewhere that I have recently started to ride locally. I've yet to ride it in the wet, but the thought of the boards being highly slippery had already crossed my mind.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lovely place to ride Sherman, and actually very similar including the duck boards and roots, to somewhere that I have recently started to ride locally. I've yet to ride it in the wet, but the thoughts of the boards being highly slippery had already crossed my mind.
There's a boardwalk on the national cycle route which passes Shotton in County Durham.

The area around it was deliberately flooded years ago, so is marshy.

The boardwalk works OK, although it is a bit nerve wracking because there's a drop either side.

Traction is good thanks to chicken wire on the boards.

Care still needed because the yobbos have been known to rip out a board or two.

A mate of mine was nearly caught out by that after snow fell on the vandalised stretch.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how i crashed on friday going over wood foot bridge no grip like ice n hit the floor on the right soon as front wheel hit it, was not even going fast lol.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Great ride today over Blubberhouse Moors plenty of variety with rocks thick heather and bogs big enough to swallow bike and rider. Bike is photographed at the side of a way post dated 1767 so people like me have been lost up there for knocking on 20150922_152048.jpg 20150922_152103.jpg 250 years.

Advertisers