How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The Battery, 4.5kgs, is mounted on a seat post rack, with the rack section removed and just the beam left.Into this I screwed the alloy base plate for the battery. View attachment 12714
Bike looks good Charlie. Just keep an eye on the seat post rack for bending or cracking. I had the same battery set-up as yours many years ago, and the seat post eventually gave way due to the weight of the battery and vibration.

Sorry, just noticed same post as DC. Tablet's a bit too small and all too easy to skip posts :(

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Which section did you ride, was it the Alfriston area ? What were the ground conditions like with the recent rain, I can se the KTM is muddy but other wise looks quite reasonable not caked. Once I'm happy with the Mtrax GSM I plan on some winter downs riding.
I was working at keymer, and set off from Ditchling Beacon to Newhaven. Some or rather most of the route was okay, but a few sections did make me think about just how miserable and heavy going that it can be up there. One more heavy down pour and I suspect that it won't be very nice. The Ditchling side of the A27 was worse that the Brighton side of the A27. They are currently constructing a cycle track along the river at South Ease towards Newhaven. It isn't quite yet finished, but being dark with no one around, I used it anyway.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
Great vid and photos as always Eddie [emoji106]

I managed to get out today, just as it rained and got cloudy, and then when I got home it was lovely sunshine [emoji35]

I decide to get lost today, which I did! Although the A3 was my reference point...

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My vid or Soundwaves?

The Swiss trip aside, mine are always off road, Soundwaves are always on public roads and footpaths.

The forest looks very similar to one on my doorstep. :) Even if cloudy and damp, it looks as though you have soil that is nice and free draining.

I'm out again tomorrow night, but just undecided about where to go. Last winter I spent a fair bit of time riding the local army camp as conditions got horrid. Sadly that one is now out of bounds :(
Forestry timber extraction is making some of the other routes less desirable as well. The tracks are chewed right up, and you never quite know what is going to be laying on the ground, around the next corner.

Nealh, I have just spoken to the lad that I ride with a couple of times of week, and he said that he was on the Alfriston side of the South Downs on Tuesday evening for a ride, and the conditions were claggy and he struggled.
I also forgot to add that many of the fields have been ploughed, and whilst room has been left for the pathways, it could be better. You might want to give it a miss for a while.

Last edited:

greggster

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2015
Ah, got confused, sound waves vid and your photos!

The woods are in Esher area, I headed in and ended up in oxshot about half an hour later. Never been into those woods before, it's really nice exploring on your doorstep.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Another evening ride out of the way. Just a quick 18 mile loop tonight. As expected things were pretty muddy, but at least it was a lovely clear sky.

I also worked out the discrepancy in mileage from the other evenings ride. I have switched back to Intuvia, and the calibration is out.

I'm going to be lazy and clean the bike tomorrow. Time for a beer. :)

Reactions: greggster

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I rode out on the GSM/mtb this morning and ended up looking a bit like yours Eddie, plenty of deepish mud puddles about and very slippery top layer everywhere. Actualy got caught in a few showers this morning and quite enjoyed it along with the mud and some nice grass hill climbing. I used muc off for the first time today and then a hose after certainly cleaned up very nice now need to buy some lube /protector to finish the job off. One cheap item that worked well was the clip cam lock drinks bottle holder 2 for £3 inc delivery from H/K or may have been China.

Pine needles and mud.
DSCF0143.JPG

Mighty fallen Beech.
DSCF0134.JPG

Sleeping dragon was careful not to wake him.
DSCF0141.JPG

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another evening ride out of the way. Just a quick 18 mile loop tonight. As expected things were pretty muddy, but at least it was a lovely clear sky.

I'm going to be lazy and clean the bike tomorrow. Time for a beer. :)

Very unlike you Ed, I have to hold my hands up and only have just cleaned the sheep poo and muck off my Cube from a few weeks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Truth be known, I didn't wash it after the South Downs ride. I oiled the chain when I got back in and that was it.

It's all clean again now though. I took advantage of the rain to help. :)

I'm tempted to go out again tomorrow morning, but things are just so wet and unpleasant at the moment. Never thought that I would say that. It's not the bike cleaning that is becoming tiresome, it's the clothing. I might just take the pedal mtb out for a road ride

I've also just realised that I have now ridden just over 3,000 miles this year, which kind of surprised me, as that was what I had hoped that my annual mileage would be. Not bad for pretty much just evening and odd weekend rides, and percentage wise, pretty much all of it off road. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
A recent ride in Upper Teesdale on a rare sunny day.
You can see from the tracks how wet it had been.
Must get the rear mudguard fitted to my new seat!

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Loved the terrain and clip from the start. :)
I was riding carefully as I had a new MX shirt on and no rear mudguard.
Hopefully will get time to fit it this week as we have snow forecast for tomorrow on the hills.:D

Reactions: Fordulike

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Nice pictures Eddie. I have just returned from a non powered accent of St Martha's Hill via a route I call the unclimbable hill because it defeats me quite often, but not today hurray, and I should try to take a few pictures as it was beautiful at the top today. You will be pleased to hear that the non powered mountain bike is a KTM hard tail!. Picture from google images,

upload_2015-11-22_16-40-5.jpeg

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ed go ebike shop no more dongles pmsl ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they are as still in parts and spares.?

i think he will not fit them but sell them as would have removed the code from the server when the rest were removed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebikedongles.co.uk
SELECT£6.99 £1.00

;)

Advertisers