How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
At that price, it's got to be worth a try. :) The reviews certainly sound promising for them.

The DZO's are proving to be brilliant, and weight aside, my one gripe about them is drag. Hard to believe that you would even notice that on an e-bike, but it is very noticeable. Still, I haven't bought them to use on the road. :)

Reactions: Fordulike

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yep certainly a lovely day for a ride. The day started pretty cold and foggy, but soon cleared to be a very fine day. :) Frustratingly I had to cut the ride short, and finish using the road. It's a real shame as there are superb down hill sections into Alfriston, but the battery wouldn't have lasted the climbs. :(

And the bike returned almost clean today.

Also a good day for KTM orange!!!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly the van was lacking any KTM stickers, but never mind. :)

It was certainly a superb day to be out and about, and I got into some lovely conversation with various walkers. Everyone seemed so happy today, which was quite refreshing from the more usual moaning.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fab Eddie wish I could have been with you but other commitment and work this afternoon/evening meant a no no, got to admit during the morning when I was out thought about the S/D again certainly a great place to be on a day like today.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Dunno about this night riding business! An hour and a half ride followed by an hour cleaning cleaning the bike and a further half hour cleaning the mud of the driveway. Then ten minutes of grief from the wife about the muddy clothes going in the washing machine. 2015-11-04 17.59.11.jpg

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im getting a cover for my rear sus as it get covered in crud anyway ;)

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
Dunno about this night riding business! An hour and a half ride followed by an hour cleaning cleaning the bike and a further half hour cleaning the mud of the driveway. Then ten minutes of grief from the wife about the muddy clothes going in the washing machine. View attachment 12686
At this time of the year I wash my bike on the lawn, the grass appreciates the wide varieties of soils collected around Buckinghamshire. I also used to have your rear mudguard but since I removed it (technically it removed itself going over a big bump) I don't get all the compressed mud down the back of the tyre and frame. I felt that my but and back get completely covered in mud anyway so have not missed it.

After cleaning my bike I use Rhino Shine and this allows so much of the next day's mud just to hose off without rigorous scrubbing.

Finally this season I finish the clean with lubing the chain with Muc Off wet very liberally then moving the chain up the whole cassette. Before I next ride I thoroughly remove all excess oil from the chain.

I always now hose under my saddle as I live in fear that Eddie will somehow run into me and inspect it.

Your wife, you're on your own with that one.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
im getting a cover for my rear sus as it get covered in crud anyway ;)

You only ride on the road, so where is the crud coming from? :)

The problem is easily sorted though. Half of a useless Topeak front mudguard.

I must admit that in respect of riding at night time in the mud, I've been tempted to just buy a few pairs of Lidls cheap and cheerful long Johns, wear them for a ride or so and then bin them. It could be much less hassle than dealing with she who must be obeyed. :)

Last edited:

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
You only ride on the road, so where is the crud coming from? :)

The problem is easily sorted though. Half of a useless Topeak front mudguard.

I must admit that in respect of riding at night time in the mud, I've been tempted to just buy a few pairs of Lidls cheap and cheerful long Johns, wear them for a ride or so and then bin them. It could be much less hassle than dealing with she who must be obeyed. :)
Funnily enough I have 2 halves of a useless Topeak front mudguard, (although I am pleased with the rear one) however I'm not certain of the benefit of your conversion as the down tube give some protection to the rear shock. But am pretty certain you will have looked into it.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Bultaco Brinco 2000w Road Legal!! Visited the Dirt Bike show last week looking for a replacement for my Honda CRM 250 AR which has developed problems and came across the Bultaco stand showing a S-Pedalec with a 2kw motor The guy on the stand assured me that it was fully road legal providing you kept below 15.5 mph and assured me that you could use it on bridal ways etc. Maybe the crusade against dongles which realistically don't make you any faster off road should be aimed in the direction of S-Pedalecs.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
CRM, I always used to fancy one of those. I bet that the value has gone up these days.

I've been giving the bike a bit of a deep clean over the last few days, in readiness for what should have been the Evans Ride It event. I got home today to discover that my entry hasn't been processed and the event is now fully booked. :(

Truth be known, I'm not overly worried, although it would have been good to have caught up the other KTM riding lads. It's not the best of courses, as it has too many road sections in between.

The one remaining job is to sort the brakes out. They have been getting a bit spongy of late, with too much lever travel. I invested in a Shimano brake bleed kit this week, so at least I can now sort it out properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: greggster

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
CRM, I always used to fancy one of those. I bet that the value has gone up these days.

I've been giving the bike a bit of a deep clean over the last few days, in readiness for what should have been the Evans Ride It event. I got home today to discover that my entry hasn't been processed and the event is now fully booked. :(

Truth be known, I'm not overly worried, although it would have been good to have caught up the other KTM riding lads. It's not the best of courses, as it has too many road sections in between.

The one remaining job is to sort the brakes out. They have been getting a bit spongy of late, with too much lever travel. I invested in a Shimano brake bleed kit this week, so at least I can now sort it out properly.

I have had the CRM a long time and it has been a great bike I absolutely love it and for trail riding it is still the best but unfortuntely spares are getting hard to find so it looks like a KTM 300exc Six Days could be on the cards. The Shimano brake bleed kit is far from complete you could do with a pad spacer and a syringe before you start.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly Gregg and one other KTM rider couldn't make today's 30 mile Evans mtb ride.
The conditions were terrible, with heavy rain, deep mud, and strong winds. I hate riding an mtb on the road, and see it as a waste, but at least the road sections today, allowed the bikes to clean off.

I kept out of the way of the organisers, just in case, but upon my return, a lady taking rider times, came straight over, and asked a load of questions. Nothing negative though. The comments today were very positive, and there might even be yet another person converted to from pedal power, to KTM e-mtb power. :)

Sadly the photos are of poor quality.

Last edited:

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I did a very tough 57km morning ride today, 30km of it single track. Took 4 hours and I'm knackered. Eco all the way and I was left with 1 bar and 8 km on the battery, so it was tough on the bike too.

Some really nice singletrack, some really awful, lots of mud. Managed to break my speed record, new record is 65.9kph >:)

Singletrack
1 - singletrack.jpg

Some gravel grinding too
2 - gravel.jpg

Back into the woods. For navigation I used an old LG L40 Android phone with Osmand. It worked great. Screen on for 4hrs and it had 60% battery left when I was finished.
3 - into the woods.jpg

Snack break here.
4 - snack site.jpg

This was pretty cool spot5 - dale.jpg

Somebody please clean my bike! 6 - dirty.jpg

Advertisers