How on earth does he get away with this?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
or use 2 batts :ptho tbh the fishing ppl are the worst broke a few rods lol seem they own the path with all there crap in the way and dont want to move so get run over :)
If they see you coming you might find next time that a swift kick will see you in with the fish.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
or use 2 batts :ptho tbh the fishing ppl are the worst broke a few rods lol seem they own the path with all there crap in the way and dont want to move so get run over :)
They are just as big a pain to the boating community, seeming to think that our few rivers are solely there for their fishing.

And worst of all in my view are those who own whole stretches of our rivers for their sole fishing use with no access to others, something which should never have been allowed.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Quite agree that some fishermen are very selfish, but some boat users don’t have a clue either. In a situation like a public towpath you have to live and let live. I used to walk the dogs and cycle on towpaths a lot where I lived before and people riding bikes far too fast was a constant problem. So if he really does ride at 30mph on towpaths he deserves to end up in the water.

Reactions: Croxden

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite agree that some fishermen are very selfish, but some boat users don’t have a clue either. In a situation like a public towpath you have to live and let live. I used to walk the dogs and cycle on towpaths a lot where I lived before and people riding bikes far too fast was a constant problem. So if he really does ride at 30mph on towpaths he deserves to end up in the water.
Agreed all points John. I've seen cases of boats thoughtlessly cutting across rods and lines, or driven at well over legal speeds, churning up the water and mud, ruining the fishing.

Strangely, rivers are a bit like roads, they can both bring out the worst in people.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Strangely, rivers are a bit like roads, they can both bring out the worst in people.
Especially carp fishermen after the second six pack of beer...

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

A Friendly reminder to stop commenting, thinking you know what my bike is! Its a custom bike and conforms with UK law... chill!

he not even got the handle bars on right lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Is it worth the risk of getting a load of points / big fine on your driving licence ?
1) drive other than in accordance with a driving licence.
2) Use vehicle with out minimum third party risk insurance.
3) '' '' '' '' valid test certificate
4) fail to display vehicle registration mark
5)(possible ) use vehicle for unsuitable purpose

and plus ( in the case of the guy who showed the cop his ''insurance'' ) Produce false instrument with the intent to deceive......now that will be expensive

PLUS - the possibility of getting your bike seized......

Not for me ...I will stick to my road legal ebike and run a motorcycle when I want more speed :)

Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

thestew

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2016
hi, new member here, it was actually the bike in question that brought me to the forum after watching many e-bike reviews. after reading through this post i never realised how strict some of the laws were for these things! imo if the bike has a "road legal" setting which restrict power output/top speed then this should be perfectly legal. and only if you are caught breaking this limit then you should be punished accordingly as a "proper" motorist? i see it being much the same as using a restriction kit on a larger motorcycle to make it learner legal?

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he removed the post from fb but his batt died lol, not a good idea to slam a 52kg bike in to the floor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi, new member here, it was actually the bike in question that brought me to the forum after watching many e-bike reviews. after reading through this post i never realised how strict some of the laws were for these things! imo if the bike has a "road legal" setting which restrict power output/top speed then this should be perfectly legal. and only if you are caught breaking this limit then you should be punished accordingly as a "proper" motorist? i see it being much the same as using a restriction kit on a larger motorcycle to make it learner legal?
There's a crucial difference that accounts for the different treatment. Pedelec riders are not tested for competence and licenced, plus no number plate for traceability. Therefore in the absence of any control on the driver there needs to be strict control laws on the vehicle instead to ensure public safety.

Reactions: Fordulike

thestew

Feb 24, 2016
There's a crucial difference that accounts for the different treatment. Pedelec riders are not tested for competence and licenced, plus no number plate for traceability. Therefore in the absence of any control on the driver there needs to be strict control laws on the vehicle instead to ensure public safety.
fair point regarding traceability, some may argue that this is an issue for all road users though? Im curious as to what would happen if you were pulled over by a curious officer and you were in "road legal" mode and were obviously not going above the 15.5mph. i have an off road RMZ 250 and never dreamed of actually using it on the road! thats why i looked into these bikes, iv never really used the bike to its full potential and feel the places i do use the bike i would get far more enjoyment from a bike such as the stealth. it would also be great to use the bike for commuting as well, effectively getting rid of 2 dinosaur burning vehicles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
fair point regarding traceability, some may argue that this is an issue for all road users though?
Not really, the number plate gives the owner and the owner has to divulge who the driver was in any event being investigated.

Im curious as to what would happen if you were pulled over by a curious officer and you were in "road legal" mode and were obviously not going above the 15.5mph.
Probably nothing. The risk of an illegal pedelec only occurs after one is involved in an accident and traffic police investigating find the discrepancy. Many police forces either have e-bikes or have used them on trial and therefore know the laws surrounding them.

Last edited:

thestew

Feb 24, 2016
Not really, the number plate gives the owner and the owner has to divulge who the driver was in any event being investigated.
was aiming that more towards users of e-bikes or pedelecs tbh. Not that i think its necessary, just the issue is the same.
Probably nothing. The risk of an illegal pedelec only occurs after one is involved in an accident and traffic police invetsigating find the discrepancy. Many police forces either have e-bikes or have used them on trial and therefore know the laws surrounding them.
yeah, so they have. thinking about it, a bike such as the stealth with a "road legal" switch would be far better than the e-bikes as i dont think they are constricted by speed limits while "on the job" are they?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bomber has no peddle assist have to twist the throttle to activate the motor.

its 53kg and costs 10k

a new batt is $2500 plus postage and import duty fook that

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i dont think they are constricted by speed limits while "on the job" are they?
If you mean the police usage, their e-bikes are restricted to the legal 15.5 mph, they've never asked for otherwise.

thestew

Feb 24, 2016
the bomber has no peddle assist have to twist the throttle to activate the motor.

its 53kg and costs 10k

a new batt is $2500 plus postage and import duty fook that
yeah, 10k is a pricey! from what i read bikes from this year forward will have to be type approved if its a twist and go (unless you buy an older bike), otherwise the rules are the same as pedal assist. from reading the EAPC requirements, this seems fairly simple the frame just needs a manufactures plaque with the max speed and voltage on it? the rules regarding derestriction seem a bit grey it seems to be more pointing towards people getting confused between private land and a public place. i just cant get round comparing it to a motorcycle being restricted for a learner.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the police will not be interested unless you have a crash or taking the pee on a bomber ect going 50mph on the main road past a police car then you are just asking for it and by by 10k bike.

the uk limit is a 250w motor 15.5mph tho most on here has a lot more than that if built from a kit and can change all the speed settings via the screen.

my bosch bike uses a dongle over the rear sensor to lift the uk 25kph limit and can be removed in seconds.

high power kits are here http://www.hi-powercycles.com/electric-bike-conversion-kits/

going for out right speed will drain the batts faster so also not last as long and are expensive.

Reactions: thestew

thestew

Feb 24, 2016
the police will not be interested unless you have a crash or taking the pee on a bomber ect going 50mph on the main road past a police car then you are just asking for it and by by 10k bike.

the uk limit is a 250w motor 15.5mph tho most on here has a lot more than that if built from a kit and can change all the speed settings via the screen.

my bosch bike uses a dongle over the rear sensor to lift the uk 25kph limit and can be removed in seconds.

high power kits are here http://www.hi-powercycles.com/electric-bike-conversion-kits/

going for out right speed will drain the batts faster so also not last as long and are expensive.
ah i see, reading through this i though the police were pretty strict on this. as a noob just to clarify, if the 5200w motor on the bike was restricted back to a max output of 250w and a max speed of 15.5mph on a pre 2016 bike then it would be perfectly legal and in the same boat as anyone using a dongle or such?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no as it will exceed the 250w motor limit for the uk but again as you are in the speed limit no reason to pull you over is there just dont hit anybody.

remember a bike with peddle assist has no speed limit as long as it cuts out at 15.5mph so gives the police a bit of a problem proving the bikes not a motorbike if you can peddle it with no power.

Advertisers