How to Build a Bike That Will Last (Almost) Forever

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Looking at this from an initial design perspective, rather than buying an off the shelf bike.

--------------

Got to be steel, and probably hub motor, with easy to get to electrical system. more plug and play.

But it needs to be decided upon first what the bike is to be used for, its parameters so to speak. And a frame built from that.

Personally I'd want something cargo orientated, but not hugely long, to replace a car for many shopping and day out duties. A long tail rather than a front box.

So being steel, with cargo in mind it would need to be big strong tube constructed, so will be heavy, and for that weight the motor must be very powerful, but with the emphasis on slow speed torque as opposed to being speedy. More tortoise than hare.

Reactions: Deus

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
This is where maintenance comes in, keep the chain clean and oiled, change all the bearings every year and give the wash once in a while.
I have an Aluminium frame that has survived years of the Scottish weather carrying heavy loads.

Reactions: Deus

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Easy. Build two, always use the other one.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Nah... any material should be good as long as frame was designed by a proper structural engineer.
Except carbon, titanium and aluminum.

Carbon - can de-laminate internally, leaving it prone to sudden catastrophic failure
Titanium - can crack, welding isnt an option*
Aluminum -prone to stress fractures, again welding isnt an option*

* Welding either ti or alu the frame would need to be annealed after, and this is to big for most ovens outwith a commercial set up.

Steel on the other hand can be easily welded if cracks develop, or even bent back into shape.

Reactions: Tony1951

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Except carbon, titanium and aluminum.

Carbon - can de-laminate internally, leaving it prone to sudden catastrophic failure
Titanium - can crack, welding isnt an option*
Aluminum -prone to stress fractures, again welding isnt an option*

* Welding either ti or alu the frame would need to be annealed after, and this is to big for most ovens outwith a commercial set up.

Steel on the other hand can be easily welded if cracks develop, or even bent back into shape.
Wait... do you plan on making the frame yourself?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've never heard of any standard bike frames failing in normal circumstances except from design mistakes. I would have chosen an aluminium frame..

The whole thing was a fuss about nothing. Any cheap catalogue bike lasts forever if you swap out the BB bearings for a cartridge type and put plenty of grease in the steering head bearings, then do a little maintenance every 5 years or 5000 miles.

Reactions: Tony1951

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Wait... do you plan on making the frame yourself?
Not personally, but the point of the thread is what is good for a super long lasting bike.
I thought that was clear, didnt think it would need explaining in any detail. You are the one who queried the type of material choice i thought would be a good base to build from.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most people don't build their bikes. They just buy them. Much cheaper and more effective.
Years ago we had an annual pedelecs weekend meeting at Presteigne which included all sorts of events, including a road race and a hill climb.

One of our members Tiberius designed his own bike for them, including modifying the frame by welding adaptations. He swept the board winning both the race and the hill climb!

Some details on this link

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
One of our members Tiberius designed his own bike for them, including modifying the frame by welding adaptations. He swept the board winning both the race and the hill climb!
Positively crazy people. Have nothing but respect for them. It must have been fun.

...but it won't change fact that most people won't go that far.

Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Not personally, but the point of the thread is what is good for a super long lasting bike.
I thought that was clear, didnt think it would need explaining in any detail. You are the one who queried the type of material choice i thought would be a good base to build from.
Just like Seneagle I would choose aluminum too. I have never had a problem with a frame in my life and luckily most manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on frames.

I also agree with Seneagle on longevity. Look after your bike well and it will last forever.