How to find bikes to try out

4maddogs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
I have been researching bikes and kits and have a plan A and a plan B now.

Plan A is to buy a reasonably priced bike that will suit my partner and I to share.
We are unlikely to need to use it at the same time so this gives us the opportunity to buy a better bike. So the issues are the size of the bike. She is 5'8" with an inside leg of 31" but I am 5'4" with an inside leg of 29" so I am the problem.

So far I like the look of the Oxygen emate City, the Volt Pulse and the Kudos bikes. We want a throttle, decent components, front suspension. I'd also like a good control panel with speed etc, but I guess a cylce computer can provide this if not. I prefer a crossbar and do not want a Dutch style bike....just not me.

Obviously I will need to try some bikes, but I can't find anywhere that has a good range of different bikes. I live in North Norfolk, so will need to travel!

So any suggestions of bikes and shops would be great, please.

Plan B is to convert my Giant XTC 4.5 small frame approximately 16" (not the extra small frame though) for me if no ady bikes fit me and partner buys a cheaper ebike for her.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Julie

C

Cyclezee

Hello Julie,

Unfortunately, your geographical location is a handicap when it comes trialling electric bikes, so you may have to travel a fair distance before you find what you are looking for, but it is worth the time and effort.

At Cyclezee we have the eZee range of bikes and kits to convert the majority of non powered bikes and in the next few days we will also have some Tonaro crank drive bikes in stock.

I am sure we have something that would meet your needs, plan A or B.
You can find details on our website here electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

Happy hunting,

4maddogs

Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
Hello Julie,

Unfortunately, your geographical location is a handicap when it comes trialling electric bikes, so you may have to travel a fair distance before you find what you are looking for, but it is worth the time and effort.

At Cyclezee we have the eZee range of bikes and kits to convert the majority of non powered bikes and in the next few days we will also have some Tonaro crank drive bikes in stock.

I am sure we have something that would meet your needs, plan A or B.
You can find details on our website here electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

Happy hunting,
I like the look of a couple of your bikes, where are you based and is it possible to try any out for size?
I am very much a novice in this and am doing too much research and getting more confused!
I suspect 26" wheels would be best so the size is kept down. Obviously the lighter the better as I will have to pick it up on occasions. I have a budget of about £1400 to £1500 if we go with plan A (a joint bike). The hub and crank systems are a mystery.

I want to be able to cycle from my motorhome....I go to Scotland a lot so it needs to be fairly powerful. I would use it mainly on roads, but want to also go on tracks, but not serious MTB tracks or very thick mud.
J

C

Cyclezee

Hi Julie,

We are in Milton Keynes which is fairly central for the South East and Midlands, but a bit of a trek from North Norfolk.

You are welcome to come and try out the models that you are interested in. Most of the bikes we stock would meet your criteria and we would not try to sell you something unsuitable.

The main difference between a hub and crank motor is that a hub motor, as the name suggests is built into either the front or rear wheel and operates independently of the gears by a throttle and/or pedelec sensor. A crank motor is located next to or between pedals, drives the rear wheel through the gears and is activated by pedalling, or in the case of a Tonaro, pedalling and/or using a throttle.

Please let me know if you would like to come for a test ride or have any specific questions,

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
There's a Freego dealer in Cromer and another in Ipswich. I have a Freego Eagle and it's been great for 1700 miles over 11 months. I am 5' 9" and its very comfy so should be fine for you both.

It really is worth taking a long day out and visiting as many dealers as you can to try as many bikes as possible. Comfort is a personal thing and taking pot luck on a bike you've not ridden is risky.

Hub and crank drives are very different in how they assist, ride both if you can.

The Eagle 004-2.jpg

4maddogs

Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
I have had a look at the Cromer shop, but they did not have a FreeGo full sized bike in, I don't think. I did ride a Hawk once and it was a comfy ride. The Eagle is a better bike, I think? I really don't like the U shaped step through frames so I do need to try the size of the frames.
The problem seems to be that I can't find a shop that stocks several makes so I am going to try to look at a few shops next weekend if possible.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Julie,

We are Electrifying Cycles and are located in Cromer. We sell a wide range of bikes. This includes AVE,3E, FreeGo, Ebco and Fast Forward. You are welcome to give us a call on 01263 513631. Or visit our website Electric bike folding bike.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
David

4maddogs

Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
Disappointingly there are no Oxygen bikes anywhere until the end of December. I wonder how they can stay in business if there is no stock. I had just about decided on the emate city or the Diva if it was too large so I am back to the drawing board.

I will try to find a Volt Pulse to try. I am finding it hard to find shops that have anything in stock to try....any ideas? Also the descriptions of the specs are variable so I cannot work out what the riding position is like so I need to try some out. As I want a throttle it rules out some including the crank drives. I want to look at the weekend and am prepared to travel a fair way so anyone know where I can try.....I can drive around several shops. Alternatively I can go to London to look at the Volts and is there anywhere else?
Thanks
Julie.....who thinks these bikes are like gold dust!

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
As I want a throttle it rules out some including the crank drives. !
Remember that the Tonaro range are unique in being the only crank drive bike WITH a throttle too.......great hill climbers and powerful ....worth a try and btw I carry mine on the back of the Motorhome too :)

Lynda :)

4maddogs

Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
An update.... I spent last Saturday trying bikes in London. Dermot in Battersea at ebikes direct was helpful, but there was nothing that was "just right". Lyle at electric bike store was also helpful and has put up with all my questions since. I eventually decided on the Volt Pulse. It should arrive tomorrow after a local bike shop checks it over and I can collect it from there. I am very excited and can't wait to give it a full test. I have a new carrier for the motorhome and am off to Scotland in a month so, weather willing, it will get a reall trial there.