I think I may have talked myself out of buying an electric bike………for now anyway.

AMcG

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2022
I haven’t ridden a bike in over fifteen years, but having recently retired from an office job I fancy the idea of getting an e-bike. The reason primarily is for the sheer fun of it, but also to improve my general health and hopefully help me lose some weight.

I’m 58, weigh 115kg, in good health but unfit. I want something that can fit in the back of the car and that I can take to parks and bike routes away from traffic, with modest off-road capability such as dirt paths. My budget is £1000 and as the idea is to mostly use it with little or no assist, the motor would help me on inclines, so I need something that’s not too heavy to ride without assistance but doesn’t need to have an outstanding range.

In my internet search, the one bike that I feel would match my needs is the Rambletta by Woosh, but unfortunately, I’m a stone over the maximum load weight and they would, therefore, not be able to guarantee the frame.

This got me thinking about the overall design of folding bikes and it occurs to me that because they fold and have no top bar to create a triangle, their inherent strength is therefore compromised. UK sellers like Woosh value their reputation and have to sell reliable bikes and be able to honour their warranty commitments. Chinese brands, which I have considered, sell cheaper bikes and publish weight limits of 120kg which seems optimistic to me.

One other bike which could be a contender is the Mycle Compact, but there is very little review information available about the bike or the after-sales service.

Sadly, I’ve come to the conclusion that, given my current weight, a reliable e-bike that meets my needs probably doesn’t exist but I would like to hear your views and experiences and I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Check out the review by Sue"

With any ebike, if you look through the reviews there's always someone who thinks it's the biggest pile of junk ever to fall out of a shipping container.
Amazon reviews are tricky... I've received oodles of offers to write positive reviews, and this is a massive problem for Amazon. Of the negative reviews, they could be written by competitors, or they could be genuine. That the Ancheer is so inexpensive, suggests that some very cheap, low quality components may have been incorporated into the build... and in any case, at around that price point there's nothing which had replacement batteries at a reasonable cost, that I could find at the time, and getting large replacements for faulty parts from China didn't appeal. I would have ordered a Fiido, but it was too close to the Brexit date, and back then they didn't ship from within the UK. I'm glad I didn't order a Fiido either, the Bafang BBSXXs are much more customisable, has easy to source parts, lots of compatible batteries: parts galore and the possibility of a fully operational ebike for many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightning

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One never knows if Youtube reviewers have been paid or provided with free products either, This reviewers says it weighs 26kg:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A couple of other discussions about Ancheer bikes on this forum:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I might take a chance on the Ancheer. Its cheap enough, and the reviews seem good. Full suspension removes some stress from your wheels and frame if you are heavy.

A triple chain ring set up, with 21 gears, should mean there is the gear range to allow you to ride the bike without power, and as you get fitter, you can do this a bit more on your rides.

I got my first electric bike to commute to work in 2011. Although I still occasionally use my acoustic hard tail mountain bike, and really enjoy it when I do, once you have ridden an electric bike it makes it harder to find the will power to take your acoustic bike out!

Now I am retired I use my entry level Haibike Yamaha for exercise and fun rather than to get me to work and back. A real benefit of my Yamaha crank drive System, and one, if I am honest, I was not fully aware of when I bought it, was how well it rides without any power.

Back in 2015 when I bought my Haibike Yamaha, the other main option for me was a Bosch motor, and although I did not realise it at the time , The Bosch motor of that era was not fun to ride without power as it added quite a lot of resistance.

The other thing that forces me to exercise when I ride it, is that it is a torque sensor system that measures the effort I put into pedaling and adds a percentage of that effort depending on the setting you have chosen.

I rode my bike 18 miles from my home town to a neighboring town today, mostly cross country using tracks, and more importantly gradients I know well. This allowed me to ride without power in many places getting plenty of exercise and preserving my battery. I had only used 25% of my 400Wh battery that has now begun its eighth year of service. In theory that would give me the mathematical possibility of a total range of 72 miles. Obviously that is tosh.

I rode a total of 26 miles, and in the remaining 8 miles used 13% more of my battery. Probably 10% was used blasting me and my shopping one and a half miles home using a higher power setting and half of which was a steep hill.

So the total potential range of my battery for this ride varied between a high of 72 miles and a low of 15 miles.

If I were you, I would not put this of. We are just entering the part of the year that is great for riding a bike.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
One never knows if Youtube reviewers have been paid or provided with free products either, This reviewers says it weighs 26kg:

Just looking at that youtube image without looking at the video itself that ebike looks total garbage. It's got those proprietary low spoke wheels so heavy and as soon as they have a problem in the bin. That awful folding frame you see on many very low end bikes which are known to fail in a few years. Then you have joke suspension and a very low end drivetrain. No doubt the ebike components are equally awful. I would avoid that bike like the plague. Buying a cheap ebike is not that hard but simplicity is where you want to focus. A simple one piece frame, conventional wheels, no suspension and a decent entry level drivetrain. This means more money left over for reasonable ebike components.

Ebike-er

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2022
Recently bought the ADO A20+. I am 68 years old and have one replacement knee and need the other needs replacing too, but waiting. I bought the bike because I can go for a walk for an hour but my knee suffers. I wasn't getting my usual exercise.
On the A20+ I can ride for hours with no problem and still get additional exercise ( there are 3 assist options). For the price the A20+ meets all my needs.