Ideas and suggestions please...........

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Hi just my tuppence worth Dave,
I used to have a heinzmann 24v motor in a front wheel configuration, it was a standard 24v 250W model, and to me it did not have an amazing amount of torque when it came to hillclimbing.

For what you want your bike to do, the priority is a motor with high torque, so I would find the highest torque rear hub motor you can, and if that is a higher torque heinzmann then that is the best one to go for.

If it means converting your rear brake to a v-brake, you could get a local fabrication workshop to tig weld some v brake mounting bosses onto your frame. The bosses can be bought from a company like this:
Framebuilding Bicycles. Tubing, Parts, and Tools

or cut off an old frame. Bottom line is if you don't get a torquey enough motor you're going to be disappointed with your bike and the end result of the conversion.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
YouTube - ‪e bike wish list‬‏

electric bike co from edinburgh at glasgow bike show......dont know if they fit kits to your own donor bike.....
looks like the 'light' bionx version when i look at the battery. bionx have other bigger units.......
certainly looked a neat job on the one i saw....motor was quiet....

have you dealt with kinetics for anything ?
thanks, wish I'd thought of this last week as I'm hardly ever in Edinburgh but was there on Friday.I'm going to ring them tomorrow.
I haven't had any dealings with Kinetics, went in because I was passing by on way to Milngavie ,very helpful but I think its a one man band whch may be something to be taken into account when deciding whether to use.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
oigoi, thanks for that......the heinzmann so far suggested has 53nm torque which is the highest torque uk legal motor which i have had suggested so far.
good idea about the v brake welding...may need to look into that if no disc modification possible.

Rear Hub Motors
3. 870-00-753-1122
Top speed 15 mph, 53 Newton meters, 33Amps Max, 200watts (s1 continuous), 15% Hill climbing without pedaling.

regards