Import VATand Duty

chintup

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2021
I'm looking at a bike on Alibaba for around £600 (£411+£171 shipping). The seller says they're shipped from a European warehouse somewhere(i'm assuming italy/netherlands from the research I've done) and it's apparently rated 500w and 48v. I want to know what the vat and duty is like for that since I couldn't find the tariffs for it.
Any help on this would be appreciated as I can't seem to find the information myself.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm looking at a bike on Alibaba for around £600 (£411+£171 shipping). The seller says they're shipped from a European warehouse somewhere(i'm assuming italy/netherlands from the research I've done) and it's apparently rated 500w and 48v. I want to know what the vat and duty is like for that since I couldn't find the tariffs for it.
Any help on this would be appreciated as I can't seem to find the information myself.
Show us a link to the bike.

D

Deleted member 33385

Sometimes you can be lucky and the seller tells you the truth - when I bought my kit from amazon, the seller told me it was being sent from a warehouse in Belgium, and it arrived five days later with no charges as promised. But that was before Brexit. Here's a thread which might interest you:

Last edited:
Reactions: PC2017

chintup

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2021
Show us a link to the bike.

chintup

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2021
I've also considered the Fiido d4s from alibaba aswell since I can't actually order one from the fiido site. Would that be a better option than the bike in the link?

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
For simplicitys sake i would reccomend a D4s off Amazon, its a decent bike ive had one for just under a year trouble free, £740 on amazon right now, i paid about £700 with shipping from poland through Banggood so not to bad considering the peace of mind of an Amazon Purchase.
I thinki paid around £60 shipping pre-Brexit, i know this has now doubled to £120 as i wanted to purchase another chinese ebike for my brother about 2 weeks ago, so looked.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It says shipping warehouse in Holland, you will have to add 20% vat one expects as well to the total price.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
For simplicitys sake i would reccomend a D4s off Amazon...
I think you'd be wasting your time and money trying to order any Fiido off either Amazon or Alibaba (or anywhere else for that matter)... the order still has to be routed and shipped through one of Fiido's own distribution centres - which Fiido just aren't doing to UK customers right now because of Brexit complications (extra taxes, import paperwork etc - they've told me so).

Fiido currently say they're only supplying direct or through their approved people - Banggood, Gearbest, or a very small handful of appointed dealers as listed on Fiido's own website (Fiido have a beef with non-approved suppliers, which, having looked, both of those seem to be).

The Amazon sellers price of £740 is in any case stupid... Fiido's direct price today for a D4S is/would be £504 inc UK shipping, but since Brexit, and until they have their own UK stock and distribution in place, you'll just have to wait. IMHO, at £504ish it's a really good buy. At £740 - even if someone had a few imported pre-Brexit models kicking about - it's a bit rich given the alternatives (the D11 for example).

Reactions: pentiumofborg