Increasing power

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
(I put this originally in faq but a message popped up after i submitted and it went before i could read it and the post didnt show so sorry to the mods if this appears twice)

As im knew to this im probaly asking repeated questions so sorry if i am.

Is there anyway to increase the power of a bafang 250w rear hub powered by 36V LiFePo4 14Ah so that it throttles over 15mph? (other than replacing it lol) Im not after silly speeds just something that keeps well with traffic. I understand the reason behind the 15mph limit i just wish it was higher say 25 or 30 mph so it can be used as a nice city bike etc

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I understand the reason behind the 15mph limit i just wish it was higher say 25 or 30 mph so it can be used as a nice city bike etc
The answer may be yes but I would not recommend riding assisted at those speeds unless offroad or on the open roads of Australia or America. There are enough cyclist being wiped out on the roads without you adding to the statistic. Why would you want to keep up with traffic? I spit on traffic. To coin a phrase that another member has used in the past .."get a moped" ...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
average car speeed in London 7 mph.... a bike (non electric) 12 mph.

We are already going much faster in real terms:rolleyes:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Your speed is limited by the controller / motor combination.

You can either -
Overvolt to 48v to give you 20mph

Change controller to allow a higher current. This won't directly effect speed but will add more torque to keep you at that 15mph

Change motor to a faster wind. Ie if you have a 28 inch wheel your rpm would be around 190 for 15mph. Change to one thats higher to get more speed. However you will loose the torque of the motor at a higher speed.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Jon

you need a direct drive hub motor and a 12 mosfet controller

you have a good battery setup

our kit do 25 MPH as standard

with that set up

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

The easiest and cheapest way to those speeds is to keep using your bike to build up your leg strength and then you'll be able to pedal harder. You should be able to get 20mph or even more on the flat with your bike.

Next cheapest simple solution is to get a 350w BPM kit from BMSbattery for about £150 delivered. You only need to exchange the wheel and join the wires - about 10mins work. Keep the other bits for spares.
Slightly more expensive would be to get a battery with more volts. The more volts, the faster you go. 48v is about as far as you dare with your controller. You'd have to look inside to see the ratings on the capacitors.

As has been said before (many times), increasing your speed makes your bike illegal and there's a risk of penalties if you're caught or worse if you have an accident. Best to learn to pedal harder!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
hi

I agree with d8veh

Leave the battery at home to save weight

then pedal you should get 75 Mile range and about 20 MPH +

All for FREE

I hope you all forgive my DRY Humor

Frank

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for the concerns its nice that yo care. I intend on seeing how things go before i tamper with anything. Its more curiosity although personally i do feel where i live 15mph is to slow.

When i was 17 i wanted to know how my car worked so i took it apart lol so now i can fix alter advise etc and then i got into building a track car.

But when it comes to electronics i lack in knowledge and understanding which i intend on changing.