Insurance

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
Just thought I would share this

following my recent new bike purchase & electric conversion, I was really concerned about about vandalisum & theft. working at a local high school the bike really draws attention from the kids.

I have my home insurance with the halifax so I called them & they were able to give me instant cover for an additional £12 per year

proof of purchase receipts needed for any claims

feeling a little more at ease now

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Brilliant price.

Most of them do similar schemes, although they all seem to have a limit of £1500 value, over which they just won't budge. I tried with mine (Churchill), and couldn't get them to move. Over £1500 (and the Wisper 905 plus some essential accessories was nearer 2 grand), and they just wouldn't touch it.

Pity. I had to go with E&L, who weren't too bad, but I'm paying more monthly than you are yearly, so good for you.

Allen

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Would standard home cover, cover for when the bike is used outside and parked? I had a quote the other day from Cycleguard and they offer an excellent package that not only covers the bike against theft and damage, but also third party damage and public liability. I think the quote was around £36 a year, not bad at all for the peace of mind. ETA gave me a higher quote around £56 but they offer "new for old" and roadside assistance plus a 40% no claims discount.

Last edited:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Very interested to hear of peoples quotes and what it actually covers? Who uses cycle insurance?

Has anyone had to make a claim and if so did it go smoothly?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have all three of my bikes on my household insurance Two Moultons at £1000 each and my EBrompton £1400. This covers fire and theft though I don't think it would cover me if a car/bike or pedestrian smashed into me and damage me/my bike.

Cover is about £1.50 - £2.00 each per bike per month, new for old policy.

Regards

Jerry

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
I use Cycleguard and have unfortunately had to test their claims dept. :(

I lost a very expensive mountain bike in the 50Cycles warehouse fire a few years back. I was concerned that there would be a loophole used to get out of any blame, but all went swimmingly. My bike was just under the 3 year cut off for depreciation, and as a result I got a brand spanking new version within 2 weeks, through my local dealer. I really can't sing their praises enough.

This is the difference between household and specific cover though, many household policies would not cover fire damage at someone elses premesis I'm sure.

Working in the cycle trade I have heard my fair share of stories where people have gone for the cheapest quote, and found out that their level of cover is not so good when they need it most.

My advice to anyone is to get the best level of cover you can afford! You never know quite when you will need it.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Cycleguard would cost me around £50 a month for all three bikes i.e. £600 per year!

I agree household cover is not as good, but I have claimed on my household cover for other things (including a damaged £2000 guitar written off) and the new for old policy paid out without fault.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Cycleguard would cost me around £50 a month for all three bikes i.e. £600 per year!

I agree household cover is not as good, but I have claimed on my household cover for other things (including a damaged £2000 guitar written off) and the new for old policy paid out without fault.

Regards

Jerry
:-O why is it so expensive?! I had a quote on a £1.3k bike and it was only 37 ish pounds a year.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Tesco are decent enough, cover up to £1500 I think, and covered here and abroad (for our motorhome trips) I changed insurers when we went electric as last one was hopeless:rolleyes:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use Cycleguard and have unfortunately had to test their claims dept. :(

I lost a very expensive mountain bike in the 50Cycles warehouse fire a few years back. I was concerned that there would be a loophole used to get out of any blame, but all went swimmingly. My bike was just under the 3 year cut off for depreciation, and as a result I got a brand spanking new version within 2 weeks, through my local dealer. I really can't sing their praises enough.

This is the difference between household and specific cover though, many household policies would not cover fire damage at someone elses premesis I'm sure.

Working in the cycle trade I have heard my fair share of stories where people have gone for the cheapest quote, and found out that their level of cover is not so good when they need it most.

My advice to anyone is to get the best level of cover you can afford! You never know quite when you will need it.
Sounds like you were very lucky!!

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
reading my previous schedule on my home insurance ( halifax) I was covered only up to the value of £500 for any bike owned by the household , that is stolen or damaged maliciously or accidentally.

I kind of tried to total my whole bike, electric kit & accessories pannier , lights approx total of £950 give or take £50

so I asked for cover on that basis: cover now includes:

theft & damage, malicious or accidental home & away including 60 days in the EU, up to the value of £950

Cycleguard looks great with all the road side assistance stuff, but given I only work approx 5 miles from home it didnt seem too muchj of a big deal not to have that aspect.

When comparing road side assistance with car road side rescue, it takes an hour or more sometimes for the AA to come & rescue you, I didnt fancy the thought of sitting on the road side with my bike in the cold & rain etc

has anyone on here had road side assistance for their e-bike, I would love to know your experience

Donna

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I was toying with the idea of roadside assistance, too, but gave up when someone on this forum suggested that I carry the phone numbers of local cabs, on the basis that as long as they've got an estate car they would be a lot cheaper and quicker than AA-type rescuers, and would get you home.

Allen.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
With my EBrompton I always carry enough money to either hop on a bus or get a taxi if I break down :p

Regards

Jerry