Interchangeability of LiNiCoMn02 and LiFeP04 batteries

SwiftSparky

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2012
I have just returned a 24v 10Ah LiFeP04 battery to Chinese manufacturer. Problem was very poor current capability on load. My existing LiNiCoMn02 works fine. Does anyone know any reason the LiFeP04 battery isn't a suitable alternative? I know cut-off voltage is slightly different but I don't see why it can't be used. Surely controller looks for 24v DC and can't differentiate between Lead Acid, NiMh or any other type?

Seems it is almost impossible to source these Frog style batteries here in U.K. Does any one know a distributor or better still a stockist of these in this country?

Help, please.
Ian

SportRider

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
West Sussex
I'm no expert, but if you mean this type of battery then it may be worth contacting Kudos, as they use these on some of their range (my Sport had one), and advertise them as costing around £200 to replace, so they must stock them:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Current delivery capability depends not only on the chemistry but on the cell content density as well, this affecting the output resistance. LiFePO4 is a chemistry resulting in bulkier cells, so there is an incentive to high density with slightly lower current delivery rates to achieve smaller cells.

I wouldn't advise the Kudos battery without some confirmation of current delivery capability, their e-bikes use a 12 amp controller, not very demanding, and I'd guess yours needs a higher maximum from what you say.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Another possibility to enquire about is the battery used by the Brompton Sparticle kit from the Electric Transport Shop, looks like a similar case.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2