Just Joined

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Hello All, Just joined the site today.

I'm 50, live near Bath and looking to buy my first ebike in the new year.

I'm looking for an electric fat bike, and joined here to pick up as much info as possible on budget vs specs, new vs used and ebike vs standard fat bike conversions.

Will be using the bike for both general road riding / commuting as well as some off road. I doubt I'll be indulging in any serious trails though.

Thanks. Graham

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont want a fat bike for the road there meant for snow and sand and will be carrying the extra waight of the wheels and tyres for nothing other than looks.

• Agree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Is that Bath or Barth?

I like to Imagine you accent.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Fat bikes are far more versatile than just snow and sand, but not really suited for prolonged road use.

Although a few road miles on a fat bike won't make it turn into pumpkin.

If the OP fancies a fat bike, why not?

The Queen song should always be borne in mind: "I like to ride my bike, I like to ride it where I like."

• Agree

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Ha ha Croxden.... I'm from Landan originally, so it's actually Barf. o_O

Thanks for the OP comment Rob, I think.

I am hoping to do as much off road as possible, but there will definitely have to be quite a bit off too'ing and fro'ing on the road as well.

...and thanks Leigh for the welcome, on here as well as the other page. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bosch motor 4k

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Cheers soundwave, I have come across these in my initial googling, and they do look rather nice.

My local bike shop has a couple of ktm and cube regular e-mtb's that I am going to have a try of next week hopefully to get a feel. A Cube SUV and KTM Force I think it was. I need to work out what sort of spec I want first of all, and then decide if fat is really the way to go.

I do appreciate your point of view of course. :cool:

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cheers soundwave, I have come across these in my initial googling, and they do look rather nice.

My local bike shop has a couple of ktm and cube regular e-mtb's that I am going to have a try of next week hopefully to get a feel. A Cube SUV and KTM Force I think it was. I need to work out what sort of spec I want first of all, and then decide if fat is really the way to go.

I do appreciate your point of view of course. :cool:
We need to be a bit careful about terminology here

The Cube SUV has 2.4" Supermoto tyres which, while quite podgy, are not what most cyclists would call 'fat'.

They have a shallow tread and are designed for road and well-made cycle paths.

The Cube fatbike is called NuTrail Hybrid - second link below.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/e-bike-hardtail/suv-hybrid/cube-suv-hybrid-pro-500-275-blacknflashred-2017/

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/e-bike-hardtail/nutrail-hybrid/cube-nutrail-hybrid-500-blackngreen-2017/

• Informative

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Thanks Rob, I have looked at the Nutrail 500. My local shop doesn't stock fatties, so I initially wanted to try the SUV standard tyre to get a feel of the motor etc first.