Kalkhoff BS10 Speed Pedelec used (since 10/04/2012)

Brian Dawber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2012
Derbyshire
I'm just putting this on here before I drop it on ebay to see if there is an interest (so I don't have to mess about with ebay fees!!)

Also I haven't yet put chain back on to test everything works so this might be a bit premature!

Kalkhoff Bosch Speed Pedelec BS10 (2012 model) with brand new motor (replaced under warranty)
Bought from 50 cycles on 10/04/2012

Great bike, but I like the replacement I built more than the kalkhoff (replacement motor took some time to come from Germany)

Has been used most every working day since purchase up until the motor failed on the first day back this year!

The motor failure was something to do with the internal gearing and not electrical. The battery is still in good condition. Motor was replaced by 50 cycles. According to 50cycles they've never seen this kind of fault before, so I wouldn't expect it to re-occur.

Bike will approach 28mph before assistance cuts out. Technically illegal, but never been stopped and my journey is mainly on off street cycle paths.

I've used it for 12.5 miles each way commute which is a couple of miles under its range limit on full pedal assist with charging during the day to get home. It'll do a lot more miles with one of the lower assistance levels.
I've got two racks with it, the original (not currently fitted) and a MTX rack (fitted) for Topeak MTX bags.

Also included:
- 1 x spare 10 speed cassette
- 2x Original tyres (only used for a couple of weeks)
- 2x Marathon Tour Plus - still got life in them (used until about November)
- 2x Marathon Winter Tyres (spiked) for ice etc. (used during December)
- 1x Scott Oiler (fitted) with 1.5 bottles of water soluble lube (great stuff in the crappy weather) and some chain cleaning fluid that goes with the kit.
- 2x Shimano SPD platform type pedals - a bit battered but usuable

I live in the Chesterfield (Derbyshire) area if that makes any difference too.

Price is negotiable, so message me any sensible offers, obviously you are more than welcome to have a test ride but it would have to be weekend or evening, and I'll want some sort of collateral (car keys etc.)
I have also got a box big enough to ship it if need be, but you'll have to arrange this yourself, as dealing with large stuff like this is a nightmare.

I'll be putting it back together during the week and testing it + taking some pics, but until then let me know what you need to know

Forgot to mention its the small size
Also includes thudbuster short travel suspension seat post

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Just wondering what the replacement bike is like. This one must be great having assistance up to 28 mph, I bet it fly's.

Brian Dawber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2012
Derbyshire
Just wondering what the replacement bike is like. This one must be great having assistance up to 28 mph, I bet it fly's.
Its a xipi silent wing kit on an iron horse full suspension MTB I had lying around. Used a freeload rack (New Zealand company) to mount the battery in a topeak mtx bag instead of a rucksack as I'd originally planned. Not sure of actual speed as its got no instrumentation! But it seems comparable to the kalkhoff without any pedalling on the downhills and about the same going up hill with pedalling. Its a lot of fun and not so much pedalling! Its not as refined as the kalkhoff though but full suspension is nice on sheffield's famously bad roads ;-)