Kalkhoff Pro Connect fail

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Hi guys
A few km into my ride home today the assist died on me completely.
There had been 2 lights lit on the handlebar battery before it died so the battery should have been ok. I stopped and pushed the power button on the battery and this flashed all the lights together a few times. Does anyone know what this means? I assumed there was a battery issue and proceeded home manually. However when I got home and took the battery off and checked it lit up 3 or 5 lights as I would expect. Put it back on the bike checked again and again all lights flashing together again. Will contact my dealer here obviously but unlikely to get him before tomorrow so just thought I'd check if anyone here can give me an indication of what to expect. On the plus side got a good work out on the way home!!

Conn

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Just took a look at the contact points between the battery and the bike and on both the same one looks damaged, hard to see but almost like if a fuse has gone and points are slightly blackened?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I can't really offer you any advice which is going to enable you to fix the bike blather. The lights flashing in the way you describe can indicate a system fault, usually the torque sensor. This usually occurs if you start pedalling too soon after switching on. I assume you aren't doing that?

One or two members have reported similar experience with the battery / motor connection, usually caused by a loosely secured battery.

If it's not the pedalling issue I have mentioned earlier, it will more than likely mean a trip to the dealer. Is it still under warranty?

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
It isn't the issue you have described with the torque sensor. The bike will no turn on at all.
I am pretty sure it is related to the connection between battery and motor. I have contacted the dealer and take it into them at the weekend.
It is still under warranty as I have only had it about 3 weeks

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hopefully you won't have any problems then and will be back on the road soon.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Hi Scott
Actually I am in Dublin Ireland, I will be taking it into Greenaer here.
If you are interested I can try and get photos of the terminals?
Thanks
Conor

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
This usually occurs if you start pedalling too soon after switching on. I assume you aren't doing that?
If it's not the pedalling issue I have mentioned earlier, it will more than likely mean a trip to the dealer. Is it still under warranty?
Is that the same for all E-bikes? I've not heard about it before.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is that the same for all E-bikes? I've not heard about it before.
Only on the most sophisticated systems where the bike does a momentary self-check when switched on to ensure all systems are operating correctly before one sets off.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Spoke to the dealer today and he says from what I have described it will probably have to go back and they will arrange a replacement. Glad I hadn't made any adjustments anyway except attaching a cycle computer. Never know though maybe my description hasn't been good and they may take a look and see what the issue Saturday

rayschooks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
Hi Conn,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new bike. Im sure your supplier will be able to get the problem sorted. Hopefully they will be able to sort it in-house and if not, I'm sure Kalkhoff will be keen to maintain their good reputaion by getting the problem fixed to your complete satisfaction asap.

kind regards
ray

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Ray
I cycled it in and left it at the dealers on Saturday. I expect I will know in the next day or so what is happening next. Speaking to them last week though they had suggested they would send it back and I would get a new bike for this week sometime. I now have to get new cable ties for the cateye computer cut off the bike when sent it back. Was a nice ride without the power on Saturday when heading to the shop which is nice to know for the future.
Conn