Kalkhoff Pro Connect S - panasonic and derailer slipping/skipping chain experiences?

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
I've posted in previous threads about this but I think they were more hub oriented, I'd just like to know about the experience of any other panasonic owners with derailer gears.

I've looked at this http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7952-wisper-chain.html and also this Derailer Adjustment

My chain doesn't appear visibly worn and nor do my sprockets, not as detailed here - Chain Maintenance

I've done 2200 Km, which I believe is below the point at which folks typically replace sprockets or chains. I've also measured the chain wear as detailed on that last link and it appeared to line up perfectly.

This has led me to wonder whether this is just down to my chain and sprocket maintenance being insufficient?

What I've been doing for the last 6 months is periodically giving a good wipe down of the various cogs and the chain and then relubricating with some Finish Line Teflon spray (which I've just noticed whilst typing this may be Dry Lube, which I hadn't realised before!).

I've purchased a chain cleaner - Wiggle | Park Tools CM5 Cyclone Chain Cleaner Bike Cleaner and also some new lube - Wiggle | Finish Line Cross Country Lubricant 2oz Bottle Lubrication

To illustrate why I'm asking here, I'm the sort of chap where if this were a car I'd have toddled off down the garage and handed over the keys, but I haven't yet sought out anyone who can service a Kalkhoff near Bristol (and I'm 18 miles away) and I use it to commute every day so if I can sort it myself it will be ideal.

Thanks for reading, apologies for length.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The panasonic bikes with derailleur gears give the chain a hell of a hammering especially if you don't reduce your power enough on changing gear (sometime difficult to judge). I have noticed significantly more wear with my E-motion over the Cytronex I had previously.

There are two strategies with chain replacement. Keep the chain going as long as possible and it will stretch and the sprockets will wear with them. Otherwise keep an eye on the chain wear (with the wear tool you can buy) and change it before it ruins the sprockets. The problem I found with the former is that it doesn't take much chain wear for the panasonic system to start to throw the chain off the chainwheel (what a pain to put back on in the rain). Once this started happening I changed the chain and sprockets - problem solved, so I am going for the 'keep changing the chain before the sprockets wear' strategy.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Once this started happening I changed the chain and sprockets - problem solved, so I am going for the 'keep changing the chain before the sprockets wear' strategy.
Thanks for your reply as well Harry. By changing sprockets do you mean the whole cassette, which I take to be the full set?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The smaller sprockets wear first so if you could get them separately then you could get away with just changing the smaller two. However the others might still be worn and so wearing out the chain without skipping or you knowing so I would change the cassette. I was persuaded to buy an expensive cassette as apparently they wear slower but only time will tell on that one.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
It looks like I'll give it a good clean and lube with my new purchases and then if the issues continue I'll make use of Scott's contact list, thanks again both :)