Knee injury - bike recommendation!

JohnnyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2009
Hi All,

I have been a member of the Pedelecs group for many years and have been more than interested in E-bikes ever since my visit to the Tour of Presteigne when it was a thing! They have come on leap and bounds since those days!

To cut a long story short I am awaiting knee surgery to reattach a tendon and think that, for my recuperation, I will finally buy that elusive e-bike.

In terms of bike I am thinking of the following:

Step through frame
Crank motor - preferably Bosch 65NM+ (?)
Gates drive but not desperate
Hand throttle - I know - but legal up to 6mph ?
Brand I have heard of!!
Don't mind ex demo or lightly used.

I am 66yo was reasonably fit and 6'1" tall - I know what size road bike frame I would need but not so sure with a step through?

As ever I would welcome your advice.

Many thanks

John

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hand throttle - I know - but legal up to 6mph ?
throttle can't be fitted to Bosch motors.
Take a look at the Woosh Santana. It would be good until your knee is OK again.
It has a very good Bafang SWX02 motor and very comfortable sit up riding position, front suspension, full chainguard, mudguards, rack, propstand, lights and bell etc. It also has a throttle.
You have to pedal a little first to activate the throttle but it will take you up to 25kph.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
throttle can't be fitted to Bosch motors.
Take a look at the Woosh Santana. It would be good until your knee is OK again.
It has a very good Bafang SWX02 motor and very comfortable sit up riding position, front suspension, full chainguard, mudguards, rack, propstand, lights and bell etc. It also has a throttle.
You have to pedal a little first to activate the throttle but it will take you up to 25kph.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
My wife has a Santana and loves it. It has a feature to activate the motor and pull away from a standstill gently up to 6kmh(4mph) which she then uses a small pedal rotation which activates a thumb throttle to max speed.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks to a run in with a BMW with my bike, I have a iffy right knee and really couldn't do without a Bafang BBS01B - after firmware changes, it's ultra easy to get moving and use effortlessly, even without throttle (if you're on the flat and on the right gear).