Lafree bike...info on this bike please

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
No problem,
I have not had a chance to look at it yet, as I finally did the last wiring on my 5304 motor two days ago.
I had been waiting for the frame and battery box o be returned to me...but gave up waitin and stuck all the bits on a spare Trek 8500 frame. Batteries have had to go on the back, on a rack, so very prone to lifting the front wheel if I am not careful with the throttle. The final build will have the batteries in the triangle so that will help with that problem. May even fit a front rack/front wheel panniers/or basket.

I had considered water ballasting the front wheel...we do it to tractors..so I could think about it for the bike too as a temporary measure

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had considered water ballasting the front wheel...we do it to tractors..so I could think about it for the bike too as a temporary measure
I've hung a battery from the handlebars in the past for that purpose when experimenting!

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Had thought of mounting a front rack, but none of our localstores had any in stock. The battery idea was the original one but since no racks, I had ho get a rear rack and put them there.
The 5304 motor with 65 amp controller @ 80 volt is very impressive. Have to be very careful with throttle to keep front wheel on ground, even at 20 mph the front can lift if I go wide open too quickly

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Well I seem to have trashed the Lafree gearbox, motor spins but no output drive.

I took the box apart today and did not see anything immediately broken in it. No shear pins or broken teeth, even the ratchet pawls looked in good condition, they seemed to lock in their housings...cant see what it is

May strip all the grease out tomorrow and degrease the entire thing and have a better look