Lateral thinking needed please...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I've just bought a movement alarm from ebay (recommended here some weeks back). Fine, no problems, loud as you like, nice solid bit of kit.

Problem is, I can't find an accessible bit of frame on my Wisper 905! The only possibility would have been on the seat tube, but only if you are 6'6" and have the tube stuck up in the air. I'm not, and don't.

Couple of pics below. Any ideas? Apart from mounting it, it does need to be accessible to input an 'off' code at the appropriate time. It's all plastic, and I don't think I could 'open' the tubular clamp enough without it cracking.

alarm.jpg (67.5 KB)
alarm2.jpg (78.1 KB)

Attachments

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
how about a handle bar end post clamped to the bike somewhere,on the handlebars if youv'e room.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have something similar on the seat post. Not a lot of options on a Wisper, Handlebars? or fix somehow to rear rack........

dbdbdb

Just Joined
Oct 20, 2010
pedal assist

Can't for the life of me find out how to start a new thread here, hope this works. I've only been using the web 15 years mind.

pedal assist - I would expect this to apply power in proportion to how hard you pedal but this is not the case on my Cyclamatic power plus or my partners Powersmart or I suspect almost all others. Power is just on while pedalling and off when not. The result is the range is 15 miles with no pedalling and 15 miles with pedalling, i.e. no extening the range by pedalling.

Is there any way to allow pedalling to extend the range, apart from switching off the pedal switch and using variable throttle plus pedalling?

D

Deleted member 4366

As you suggested, you need a a bit of lateral thinking. It'll fit around one of your fork tunbes, but the screws won't fit, so use a couple of cable-ties instead. Put the cable ties through the screw holes and it should look quite neat.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the alarm ideas - the most 'lateral', i.e. fixing it to my lock, actually fits the bill the best (since my bars are SO full with bits, 3 flashing lights for instance) - but my Abus lock is just right, so that's where the alarm is going.

Thanks.

(NOTE FOR DBDBDBDB etc)

Go to top of page, click 'Electric Bike Forum', then 'Electric Bikes', and once inside it, click 'New Thread', and there you are. Make your own title, repost your message)

Allen.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Allen,

I've just looked at these alarms and I have one question - is the 6cm measurement the length of the bracket?
If it is then I have room on my seat post (I have a good 7cms - I'm not particularly proud of it, although it is obviously more than you can manage :)) and it occurs to me that it would also help prevent anybody getting at the battery on the Wisper, even if they had a key.

Colin

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
7cm? Wow.

My seatpost has about 20mm exposed (make of that what you can).

Allen.

Oh, and yes, the alarm needs about 6cm of tube, so should fit yours without a problem...

A

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Thanks - I think I will get one then as it will help protect both the bike and the battery.

Colin

electricmike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2011
I assume you are also padlocking the bike. Can the alarm be put around the cable or lock? You could "fuse" the alarm collar together or simlpy put in two short bolts/nuts.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Have just sent off for three for a total of £20 inc postage from UK supplier !

OK, I am not expecting a great deal but will affix with "security screws" and hope the kids can be bothered with the 2 second setting requirement.

I am sure a well placed sledgehammer will quieten it down a bit (!) but hopefully will deter the curious as an addition to a lock.

Seems a bit wrong to spend big money on an alarm for a £30 kids bike, but for under £7 each is worth a go.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I assume you are also padlocking the bike. Can the alarm be put around the cable or lock? You could "fuse" the alarm collar together or simlpy put in two short bolts/nuts.
Yes. The Abus 1m 'chain' (they call it a chain, but it's some sort of flexible metal covered in plastic) goes round lamp-post and bits of bike frame, as normal. The alarm is now permanently fixed (just screws) to the circular 'chain', near the lock end, so having gone through the locking routine, it's just a question of pressing the appropriate button.

No, it's not thief proof (little is), but for a fiver it is one more line of defence. I wouldn't leave the bike for sixty seconds around here without the Abus in place, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to use the movement alarm on its own.

If you could stand the noise, and had pretty strong nerves, you could disable the alarm in about 45 seconds without resorting to large hammers, but then you'd STILL have to get through the Abus and a D-bulldog as well!

Allen.