Latest Advice for new ebiker

rob.nic29

Just Joined
Dec 27, 2016
Cullercoats
Just joined but have read a few conversations and can see already how good much of the advice is that is given on here.
My wife has an electric bike,a Freego Wren, couple of years old but seems reliable and suits her needs.
I'm looking to join the electric bike 'set' but as others have pointed out in the past.... the choice is baffling.

Interested to read the general consensus that Kalkhoff bikes are good but that their Impulse motor is not.

I see people are still buying the hub motor fitted in many UK brands ? Is this still a good buy then ? Is the drive unit in the pedal assembly position not as good as was heralded ? Is Bosch the way forward ?

Questions questions....! ... but any comments to improve my knowledge will be appreciated

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Welcome. There are as many opinions voiced here as contributors ( Well nearly).
I will get my spoke in first this time.
Central drive motors , where the motor drives a gear connected to the pedal crank provide the best and most authentic cycling experience. Because the motor works in conjunction with the bikes gears it is also the most efficient. Bosch drives are very very good, although there are contributers who consider Yamaha to be as good or better. Some Chinese manufacturers are producing what appear to be very capable alternatives. I have the Bosch drive and am very pleased with it.
The only flaw with central drive motors is cost . There is also a belief that they are harder on chains and cogs as more energy is transmitted via the chain

Hub drives either front or rear are a significantly less expensive alternative. Whether there is any significant inefficiency when cycling on the level at cruising speed compared to central drives is debatable. Hub drives typically allow the full power of the motor from the get go and therefore provide a more exciting performance. There is a belief that these are harder on spokes because the diameter of the hub makes the spokes stubby and all the energy is forced into the hub.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
From previous experience, i have had a BH Neo Cross it was a good bike don't get me wrong but very hard to maintain a high level if you are like me and depend on it to get you around places and it your only transport
then it can be a bit of nightmare

The BH Neo Cross is a rear motor driven and when a puncture does happen you have to disconnect the cable and take the wheel out to fix
the puncture pretty much impossible on the road side

How to fix a flat on the BH Neo Cross 2014

if you would like something fairly simple to maintain then i would suggest a front crank drive motor which both wheels are quick release and you are able to get at things easy with no problems if a flat happens.

i would suggest trying a front crank out before you buy it is not for everyone
some people do prefer rear motor drives everyone is different

The key facts are before buying any bike

* Budget
* What you are going to use the bike for
* Your Terrain "everywhere is different
* Rear motor
* Front Crank
* Battery size "Mileage"

My best advice is try lots of bikes first before you hand over the cash every dealer will let you have a go on one you might like something where a lot of people won't we are all different

A couple of weeks back i tried a Yamaha and i really didn't like it at all just didn't have a enough go in the settings for my liking we all have different
preferences

D

Deleted member 4366

The BH Neo Cross is a rear motor driven and when a puncture does happen you have to disconnect the cable and take the wheel out to fix
the puncture pretty much impossible on the road side
There's no need to take a wheel off to fix a puncture. You just lever the tyre off on one side and pull the tube out, then fix the puncture, push the tube back in and pull the tyre back on.