Leaving the EU

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that why I think it may back fire on him. The bookies are rarely wrong, Leave was 2/1 yesterday and 9/4 after Cameron appeared on A.M. program. A lot of journos under-estimate the debating skills of Cameron and over-estimate the mass appeal of Boris.
the funny bit is Boris says he loves Brussels but wants to leave and Cameron says he doesn't love Brussels but wants to stay. The truth is the referendum is in four months and there isn't much brains among the politicians in the leave camp and you know what they say about a day in politics.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Sorry Dave, I have to question this. Germany has long been the largest steel producer in the EU and is the world's seventh largest producer. The Chinese dumping is also a major threat to them. If they really were calling the shots the EU protections would surely cover steel.
The Germans have much lower production costs,especially lower energy costs and business rates,they also have committed customers who are loyal to local German supply...the UK suppliers are experiencing the perfect storm with everything against them.
Also don't forget that Audi and Mercedes are the preferred vehicle of choice by the steering committee of China,they could respond back with some heavy tariff barriers as reprisal.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Germans have much lower production costs,especially lower energy costs and business rates,they also have committed customers who are loyal to local German supply...the UK suppliers are experiencing the perfect storm with everything against them.
Also don't forget that Audi and Mercedes are the preferred vehicle of choice by the steering committee of China,they could respond back with some heavy tariff barriers as reprisal.
KudosDave
All true Dave and there's a central key within it. Thats the superior manufacturing and marketing of the German companies that enables them to charge far more for their products, which in turn enables the loyal steel buying at higher prices. The Swiss do similar, selling quality at very high prices that others are prepared to pay. It's a knack we never really learnt well enough to compete long term.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What exactly does 2/1 or 9/4 mean.
The bookies think that we will stay or leave?
This shift in the odds on leaving* mean the bookies are betting the UK will remain in the EU. That trend is continuing.

* i.e. The second figure as a proportion of the first in each pair has reduced.

N.B. Crossed with Trex's post.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hear that the latest barmy move by Boris is to say that if we vote to leave the EU, he will want us to renegotiate again and have yet another referendum!

I think such a move might finally prompt the EU Commission to lose patience and consider whether we should be kicked out.

Reactions: anotherkiwi

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hear that the latest barmy move by Boris is to say that if we vote to leave the EU, he will want us to renegotiate again and have yet another referendum!

I quite like that idea actually. There is not much risk. If the Pound gets trashed, our export and living cost will rise, reducing the current budget deficit and perhaps more people can see that we actually don't control much in this brave new world.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I quite like that idea actually. There is not much risk. If the Pound gets trashed, our export will rise and perhaps more people can see that we actually don't control much in this brave new world.
But would Europe put up with such a proposal? You may remember that when Cameron first proposed a renegotiation it was met with considerable irritation among other member country leaders. Several openly said that it was about time that the UK either shut up or left.

I think once more could well be the last straw with them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you said it yourself, the EU want/need to be big. I am sure they'll negociate.
Any way, article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty will let them extend the two years period. I always thought that it does not matter which party has the majority in the House, our government is not daft enough to leave the EU. Too much hard work for politicians.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you said it yourself, the EU want/need to be big. I am sure they'll negociate.
Many said they wouldn't make the concessions sought this time and they've been as good as their word. That's why the outcome has been so insignificant. I doubt those members would even talk again, defeating any EU Commission intentions.

Any way, article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty will let them extend the two years period.
That won't happen, the two years is the EU's best bargaining tool. If the UK doesn't have an agreement at the two year point the UK is automatically out without any trade agreement. The pressure in the final stages is all one way on the UK.

I always thought that it does not matter which party has the majority in the House, our government is not daft enough to leave the EU. Too much hard work for politicians.
I agree, I doubt there's a cat-in-hells chance we'll leave and they'll fiddle it somehow. What I fear though is the very close result settling nothing. I see the Conservative parliamentary party itself is almost evenly split and the country might well be the same.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Flecc....I think Cameron also thought that there was no chance we would vote to leave and that his new deal would strengthen that. His body language in the house today verged on panic realising that there is actually a strong possibility that we may vote OUT,I bet he regrets putting this choice to us in the first place.
Having said that, what would be the effect of us voting to leave,say 6 months after we have voted OUT what would have changed?
We may get the possibility of ditching what we done want but who would want to disrupt the trade.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That won't happen, the two years is the EU's best bargaining tool. If the UK doesn't have an agreement at the two year point the UK is automatically out without any trade agreement. The pressure in the final stages is all one way on the UK.
this country won't be at peace with itself until Brexit happens. Presented with either membership of the EEA or the EU, the choice will be easy. Our government (presumably lead by Boris) will ask the EU for more time if necessary to get back in.

Reactions: flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
It appears that the main opposition to staying in is coming from the elderly population who have lived through and have knowledge of both regimes (I estimate there are approximately only 23% of the population of the original surviving voters eligible to vote the first time around) and they are not happy with the ever increasing demands imposed on them from the EU.

Unfortunately looking at the population figures it appears that they will be outnumbered come voting time as the majority of voters will come from either side of the median age (approximately 40 years old) and as they have no knowledge of how this country has changed will probably vote to stay in.

Despite this I will still be voting to come out, as I am sure this would have be my late father's view who fought for the independence of this country, and also I don't think a leopard can change its spots.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately looking at the population figures it appears that they will be outnumbered come voting time as the majority of voters will come from either side of the median age (approximately 40 years old) and as they have no knowledge of how this country has changed will probably vote to stay in.
Which is as it should be, since the future belongs to the young and not to the elderly.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
what would be the effect of us voting to leave,say 6 months after we have voted OUT what would have changed?
We may get the possibility of ditching what we done want but who would want to disrupt the trade.
KudosDave
6 months: probably not much other than the banks speculating against the Pound but two years in, the biggest problem for firms is unfair competition, the most affected will be our farmers and our fishermen. For individuals, the biggest problem is the drop in the value of the Pound.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Instead we've merely been a stroppy and disruptive influence, undermining at every opportunity. I'm openly ashamed of this country's dishonourable behaviour.
.[/QUOTE]

At least we have our honourable politicians, all ready and willing, waiting to guide us, honestly and without prejudice, to a sound and reasoned decision ... I'll get me 'at ...

Advertisers