Left Or Right

C

Cyclezee

On an ebike or pedelec with twist grip throttle, which side do/would you prefer it to be fitted, left or right and why?

J:) hn

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
On an ebike or pedelec with twist grip throttle, which side do/would you prefer it to be fitted, left or right and why?

I was thinking about this today while riding my bike! I have a thumb throttle not twist but I prefer it on the left. My first instinct was to put it on the right, but with my twist gears on the right I had limited space. It just feels better having it on the left side with the gears on the left, nice simple setup.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Morphix,

I see your reasoning, if you have a twist grip gear change, a left side throttle makes more sense.

Can anyone think of other reasons for choosing left or right? I know which I prefer;)

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Twistgrip side

Must be on the right for me , can`t change after riding motorcycles for 53 years .

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
The motorcyclist in me says right handed, and as i'm right handed i probably have more precision control...

BUT...

when turning right there's always the problem where you have to come off the throttle to indicate. Indicating left is less of an issue because you dont have to cross a lane of traffic, so you can afford your speed to drop off.

C

Cyclezee

BUT...

when turning right there's always the problem where you have to come off the throttle to indicate. Indicating left is less of an issue because you dont have to cross a lane of traffic, so you can afford your speed to drop off.
Hi Streethawk,

That is exactly what I was thinking, the right turn in traffic is probably the most dangerous manoeuvre. Motorcyclists usually have indicators to show their intentions, whereas the vast majority of cyclists use hand signals and being able to keep a hand on the throttle is quite important.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I say right side as I used to ride motorbikes and I'd be in a real pickle if it was on the left, as for turning right and taking ones hand off the throttle, peddle like your life depends on it to keep up your speed !;)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I rarely use the throttle while moving, but I can envisage situations where being able to hand-throttle with my left while indicating with my right would come in useful.

I don't think years of usage make much difference, really; it's a bit like swapping cars from Japanese to European and finding the indicators/lights/wipers/etc on different sides of the wheel. You get used to it!

A.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I rarely use the throttle while moving, but I can envisage situations where being able to hand-throttle with my left while indicating with my right would come in useful.

I don't think years of usage make much difference, really; it's a bit like swapping cars from Japanese to European and finding the indicators/lights/wipers/etc on different sides of the wheel. You get used to it!

A.
Yeah but it's a bitch when folks don't understand you are turning when your windscreen wipers and flapping like mad!!!

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Rear Indicator

Argos do the Eurolight Rear Indicator for £19.99 This has 3 red and 4 orange LED`s to indicate , the red also has a stoplight .I saw an American one with radio control for about £50 somewhere , but this one has wires .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Left for me, despite being a near lifelong motorcyclist.

The reasons are, first, I prefer a twistgrip gear change, second, for giving right turn hand signals while keeping throttle and back brake control.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Left hand for me after having tried both,i found trying to change gear and hold the throttle open at the same time awkward,also as mentioned turning right especially uphill in traffic, no throttle power whilst signalling right is a nightmare ,i have bought a right hand throttle by mistake,but have ended up mounting it on the left, i find turning the throttle backwards better than having it on the right.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011