Help! Longbow Branded E-Bike Help Please

Peruvian Jack

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2022
Hello all, new member here looking for some advice / help. Very new to E bikes and I am not am electrician or Electrical Engineer and I wouldn't have a clue how to use a Multi-Meter !!. I purchased an e bike (Branded Longbow) from a Liverpool based site a few months back. My Grandson has had the bike and up until a couple of weeks ago it was working as normal. Then my Grandson said it stopped working !. I now have the bike and it is indeed not working. I have attached a screenshot from another site selling this type of bike and a shot of what I can see on the KT3-LCD controller. The battery shows "green" on the charger and a couple of times on switch on it has shown as 4 bars full on the controller screen. Currently showing as can be seen on screen. The front light turns on Ok. I have reset the controller back to default values, but no power going through to the motor. I have checked the "barrel" connector (9 pin ?) to make sure that is connected OK. Nb Battery is in the down tube. So would appreciate any help / advice. Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What voltage does the battery say when a meter is attached.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Jack,
You are, inevitably, going to need a multimeter. You can get a cheapy from 'tinterweb for £5-10 pounds. We can instuct how and where to use it.
At the moment the lcd is not seeing any battery voltage, however there must be something there as it has turned on. First step will be to measure this, possibly via the charge socket.
Is the battery removeable or is there some sort of removeable cover?
You'll probably be asked for more pictures along the way.

Peruvian Jack

Jul 26, 2022
Thank You both for your prompt replies. No I don't have a multi meter I will check with my family to see if anyone has one or will possibly purchase a cheap one. The battery is removable it slots into the down tube I have attached some pics of the battery . Really appreciate this. Thanks (NB I am also going to try another battery from the same type of bike that should tell me if it is indeed a Battery issue.). I mentioned in my Introduction. I am not electrically minded nor trained !!!, but I will give anything a go. I know my limitations so if it needs an expert to an expert it will go !.

Attachments

Peruvian Jack

Jul 26, 2022
V.Quick Update. Just tried the battery in another bike and shows 4 bars and the "Walk" assist works fine. Didn't have chance to try a proper test ride but looks like the controller maybe ?.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't jump to conclusions, it can get expensive.
Your bike seems to be not registering the presence of the battery, we have to find why.
Can you try another battery in your bike?
In your O.P. you say that sometimes the display has shown you 4 bars, this would seem to point to a bad connection somewhere.
The second of your battery pictures shows some white deposit on the casing, this looks like there's been water there.
The third picture - the hole in the centre of the battery end looks like it may be the connection point. If so there must be a corresponding 'male' spigot of some sort in the bike frame mounting. Can you see it? Is it clean? Or, can you see into the hole in the battery? There may be some brass or copper terminals, they should be clean - i.e. not corroded (green) or burnt.
It looks like that end cap is removeable, might be worth a try.

Peruvian Jack

Jul 26, 2022
Hi Again ,further update. I did try the battery in another bike and despite being able to properly test ride I did get an expected display on the console and the "walk" assist did work. I returned home and tried the battery again and while on a quick test ride the display suddenly started working and power was being supplied to the motor. Happy days I thought. Test ride again this morning and back to "normal". Battery shows no bars. Motor shows Zero , MPH shows Zero. I have now had contact with the seller who is going to bring me a "new" battery and maybe a "new" controller. As I have indicated previously I can happily "tinker" but know my limits !. Thank you for looking and thanks for the advice so far. I will update once I have tried the new parts.

Peruvian Jack

Jul 26, 2022
Quick Update, the original seller has still not contacted me, however the electrics seem to have finally come good. Not given the bike extensive testing but appears to be working "normally". So for now I would like to thank all who took the time to read my pleas for help and offer some good advice.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Well, fingers crossed all remains good. :cool: