Looking for advice on a bike that could cover a 50 mile distance with ease

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
i have a kalkhoff integrale in the classifieds that will easily cover 50 miles at speed with the 17ah battery.

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
It would see to me that the specified needs point towards an electric assist velomobile. Weather protection and much higher more easily attained average speeds. Reading user reports, the electric assist is set up to get away from stops, help uphill, and once rolling the electric power is not needed as the streamlined machine speeds along well above 15 mph. So range is high as well.
Obviously not a cheap solution, but possibly the perfect one. No driver's liscence needed, much greater range, great for winter. If only a major manufacturer would go into volume production and get costs down.

The Alleweder A4 alloy kit is a more affordable option and has a UK supplier.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Looking out the window today I am 100% behind the idea that a e-velomobile is the perfect vehicle for this season! They are not without problems, lets start with those:

- high winds, especially side winds require well thought out aerodynamics for a vehicle that weighs as little as 28 kg
- fully enclosed models often have windscreen fogging issues
- where I live a ray of sun can turn a velomobile into a portable oven
- realistic weights with baggage and batteries of up to 40 kg means that a high torque motor delivering 1 hp (745 W) up to 1 kW will be of more assistance than a 250 W nominative motor
- the width and length can be a problem on some cycle paths
- weight means you need really good brakes in mountainous areas
- ... other disadvantages for specific use cases

Advantages:

- average speed, flat road cruising speed for a reasonably fit rider is about 45-50 km/h
- top speed, downhill runs can mean riding at the same speed as the cars around you
- you are reasonably protected in case of an accident
- your baggage is inside so with adequate locks you can leave it unattended for a short time. The vehicle is a spectator magnet so many people will be watching over your stuff, it is going to be hard for the smash and grab thief to go unnoticed

I could go on and on because I have been interested in velomobiles for quite some time.

There is a "cheap" velomobile, the Trisled Rotovelo which is sold in Australia for 3900 € or thereabouts. Unfortunately by the time it is shipped to Europe and the importer takes its margin that price soars to 5990 €.

I am available for hire as project manager if any smart businessman wants to design and bring to market a competing product built and sold in Europe with an entry price of 3995 € :)

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
A possible candidate is Podride. A first class engineer is attempting to bring his well thought through design to market and is struggling.

http://www.jmk-innovation.se/?lang=en

I am also a very experienced in manufacturing and supply chain management and feel there must be a full complement of skills just eager to help.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Podride is fine for northern climates. It doesn't seem to have a top off mode for our southern late Spring and early Autumn.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Podride is fine for northern climates. It doesn't seem to have a top off mode for our southern late Spring and early Autumn.
With just this single front hinge it would be easy for the inventor to make it quickly detachable for fine weather, yet still keeping the high safety profile at the rear. Could have a swing out rear view mirror on the o/s front mudguard for open top use:

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
To the OP:

You could buy something like my cube reaction hybrid with the Bosch cx motor and 500wh for around £1500 (with negotiation - as you MUST do when buying any bike!) then get another battery for about £600.

You'd have to derestrict it and possibly up the gearing if 22ish mph cruise speed isn't enough.

I do about 25 miles a day like this and it takes no effort whatsoever. The battery will just last with the highest assistance setting.

Depending on how much traffic and road type it shouldn't take much more than about 2:15 to do 50 miles.

It might not be that comfortable though!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I could see this electric car fitted with a portable generator. They add about 7kg but can turn a litre of petrol into 2.7 KWH - enough to ride 200 miles without pedaling.

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can see it fitted with 80 Ah of Lipos and charge it from rooftop solar panels. Household rooftop that is. The one on the bike would be a hippy hitch-hiker girl magnet "Oh you are so green!" (absolutely buy the green version when you get one!). Yes there are still over 45 hippy hitch-hiker girls to be found! :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I could see this electric car fitted with a portable generator. They add about 7kg but can turn a litre of petrol into 2.7 KWH - enough to ride 200 miles without pedaling.
The only problem I see with this is the authorities attitude, since charge current to the battery in use on the go makes it a motor vehicle, since some of the current can feed the motor directly.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
And to help get maximum miles per watt a recumbent with BBS 01 might be the way.
So far I have made circa 25 miles on 3 ah while thrashing it on power levels.
Detailed report to follow but remember before it was electrified I did do 120 miles in under 9 hours ( excluding meal and snack stops)
With assist to get up the hills then the average speed could well be 20 mph?