Make a helmet visor

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Needed to upgrade my visor to something bigger.
Get some clear plastic. This was a covid face shield.
Pull the decorative peak thing off Aldi helmet.
Push a pencil through to make 3 holes in plastic.
Push together

Now have a large visor.

Could use stationary plastic of some kind
Plastic

Pull off plastic peak

Push it together

Keeps the cold and rain off face.
Took minutes to make.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can buy these visors from Ebay and fix them to your helmet with epoxy, then you have a lifting visor:

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
You can see 3 magnets in my photo where I fitted a visor. Because the style of helmet I have, the visor hardly made it past my eyebrows. I needed something way bigger reaching across my face

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cycling in cold weather, I use black KN95 masks. They're quite easy to breathe through, and keep part of my face warm. Also when disguised as a pedestrian, because looking like a bandit is more socially acceptable than it used to be.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cycling in cold weather, I use black KN95 masks. They're quite easy to breathe through, and keep part of my face warm. Also when disguised as a pedestrian, because looking like a bandit is more socially acceptable than it used to be.
And it'll stop you from catching TB while out riding your bike. Originally, they said it would stop you from catching a certain virus, but there have now been aspersions cast over that.

They're saying 95% effective as a filter, but that doesn't reduce your chance of infection by 95%. If the virus is about, you breathe in millions, so 50,000s will get through and it only takes one to infect you. One of these would be better for that, and it works as a visor too, and will keep your face warm. Note that it's listed under beauty products, so might help you on the pull next Friday night:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And it'll stop you from catching TB while out riding your bike.
Also good for filtering out smog - my black KN95 masks were originally white.

might help you on the pull next Friday night:
Nothing will help me pull on a Friday night. Extremely early Saturday morning when they're completely out of their minds, maybe...

Last edited:
Reactions: saneagle

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I thought about a mask. I'll try one this morning to see if its a more comfortable ride being warmer on face.
The mask debate is not worth having. Any mask should be face fitted to test seal then in the real world will the seal break as you moved about. Will the mask actually filter everything you think it will and so on. I've been on a course and found it interesting. Covered the things we are all exposed to. Silica dust, pollen and fumes will be a problem on a bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I thought about a mask. I'll try one this morning to see if its a more comfortable ride being warmer on face.
The mask debate is not worth having. Any mask should be face fitted to test seal then in the real world will the seal break as you moved about. Will the mask actually filter everything you think it will and so on. I've been on a course and found it interesting. Covered the things we are all exposed to. Silica dust, pollen and fumes will be a problem on a bike.
I used to do a lot of motorbike restorations that involved spraying with 2-pack paint, which is carcinogenic. Initially, I used a mask connected to my compresser that pumped air outwards through it, but it was a lot of messing about and made my eyes water, then I got a nuclear gas mask, like above, which was brilliant. I couldn't even smell the paint through it, and the paint stinks. If there were a real pandemic, that's what I'd use for my shopping.

Reactions: Wayners

Related Articles

Advertisers