Massive momentum ;-)

Dave_h34

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 25, 2014
So a front hub 250w >10Ah seems to be the educated consensus? There's so much stuff out there when you start to look! The woosh option looks like a good all-round package but for the life of me I can't work out their website, I can only find mid mounts for sale.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Woosh don't sell 250W front hub kit.
Cyclotricity do.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am indeed confused. Do they do 350W front on 700C?
No, they do front BPM only on 26" rim, they have more choices on rear rims, 26", 700C and 650B.

Cyclezee do front V2 on 700C.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
So a front hub 250w >10Ah seems to be the educated consensus? There's so much stuff out there when you start to look! The woosh option looks like a good all-round package but for the life of me I can't work out their website, I can only find mid mounts for sale.
I'd b very very tempted to order direcly from BMS(China), there's no guarantee, but it's half the price (i just built a BPM with 44V 16Ah bike for less than £400), it' very easy to do, and you get to customise it asyou like it (e.g. using lipos for more speed etc).

Dave_h34

Sep 25, 2014
How did you suddenly jump to needing a front-wheel motor? Rear ones are much more pleasant.
I think it was having read about better weight distribution and not snapping spokes... Rear then, OK...

D

Deleted member 4366

You only have to look at electric bike shops on the internet. How many of the bikes with hub-motors have them in the rear? Hello!. Do you think if there was a problem with them, there might not be so many?

When people tell you stuff on forums, you should think about what they're saying and try and put it into some sort of context. Many people hear a story and pass it on, where it gets changed like Chinese whispers. They used to tell us on here that hub-motors were no go good because they have too much drag when pedalling without power.

It's true that some bikes did suffer broken spokes, some had crank motors and some had hub-motors. There's a lot more hub-motors on the road than crank motors, so which one do you think will get reported the most?

If you want to do yourself a favour, treat yourself to that Oxydrive kit. The one that has the Bafang CST motor. You can then convert your bike to the same spec as the new £1700 Oxygen E-mate MTB for £800. It's smooth, fast and powerful - ideal for a 15 mile commute. Trust me; You'll never look back. It's the same motor as I used to use for my 15 mile commute.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I prefer front hub motors for spoke safety and, to a lesser extent, weight distribution.

It's a matter of plain common sense that spokes are tortured on a rear wheel with a disc brake, weight of the rider and hub motor.

Equally true that wheels can be built to do the job, if d8 says the Oxygen wheel is one such, well, that's what d8 says.

I've tried the Oxygen MTB and agree the motor has plenty of poke - I'm sure it would do the job well.

Of the hub bikes I've tried, I prefer the ride of rear hub motors.

It is more natural, although controller electronics will have an impact.

I expect a modern front hub bike could be made to ride quite nicely.

If it was me, for a commuter I would be looking to get Oxygen levels of grunt in the front wheel.

Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

It's a matter of plain common sense that spokes are tortured on a rear wheel with a disc brake, weight of the rider and hub motor.
It's no good wasting your sympathy on those poor spokes, Rob. Save your feelings for these ones that have to transmit about 90kW compared with our paltry 500W and deal with a lot more weight. I've never heard of spokes breaking on a BMW motorcycle.

So what's the difference?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
dishing.
Front motor wheels have less dishing, pressure and stress are spread more evenly.
your weight - 35% to the front, 65% to the rear.
Motorbikes are CDs, have better suspension and tyres.
Hub motor vibrates the spokes, loosens nipples.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's no good wasting your sympathy on those poor spokes, Rob. Save your feelings for these ones that have to transmit about 90kW compared with our paltry 500W and deal with a lot more weight. I've never heard of spokes breaking on a BMW motorcycle.

So what's the difference?
It's an example I've thought of many times, another is the E-type Jaguar which managed 400bhp with spokes.

The difference is there are not many stories of spokes breaking as there are with bikes, ebikes and rear hub motored ebikes in particular.

I don't know enough to judge, but the Oxygen kit looks good to me.

Having said that, when I visited Oxygen HQ the first bike I tried had noisy rear spokes, as did the second.

The second was sorted with a tweak - I think you've mentioned nipping up each spoke a quarter turn - but it hardly inspires confidence.

I've never touched the spokes on the Rose or the AVE, and all the wheels are still true.

D

Deleted member 4366

Having said that, when I visited Oxygen HQ the first bike I tried had noisy rear spokes, as did the second.
Is that the new or the old Oxygens. When I was in China, I visited the factory for the new type. They have an all-singing, all-dancing wheel-building machine there that tensions and measures every spoke. You can program in any offset too. It was pretty expensive - not the sort of thing you could have in your garage. The old Oxygens are still built by hand.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is that the new or the old Oxygens. When I was in China, I visited the factory for the new type. They have an all-singing, all-dancing wheel-building machine there that tensions and measures every spoke. You can program in any offset too. It was pretty expensive - not the sort of thing you could have in your garage. The old Oxygens are still built by hand.
New Oxygen MTBs a couple of weeks ago - the second one was fresh out the box.

Fair play to them, they were helpful with a test ride.

I also saw a decent stock of bikes and spares so it does look like Oxygen is now properly set up.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Just another point of view, I would ride either front or rear hub but rear hub are a much nicer ride as bikes are not generally designed to have several kilo in the front.
Plus I have had issues with front traction especially when turning.
If you want the best weight distribution and least spoke angst obviously a crank drive is going to maintain balance better assuming decent battery placement.
I have never had a broken spoke on a hub drive, make sure you tighten when they arrive tweak a week or two later and pretty much forget about them.

C

Cyclezee

This is how eZee do it

Dave_h34

Sep 25, 2014
Still musing here. Keeping it legal probably means mid mount, and mid mount probably means it's worth waiting for torque sensor. Discovered South Yorkshire electric cycles is just down the road and they seem to carry a reasonable demo fleet - the proof is in the pudding after all!

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
It's an example I've thought of many times, another is the E-type Jaguar which managed 400bhp with spokes.

The difference is there are not many stories of spokes breaking as there are with bikes, ebikes and rear hub motored ebikes in particular.

The second was sorted with a tweak - I think you've mentioned nipping up each spoke a quarter turn - but it hardly inspires confidence.

I've never touched the spokes on the Rose or the AVE, and all the wheels are still true.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
OFF Topic a bit. There was never a road going e type with 400 bhp. The experimental XJ13 made 500bhp with a twin cam v12 but this engine never made production. My 4.2 had around 260 bhp and the wires were a pita. Even Borrrani's could be a pain. Luckily Woolfrace eventually supplied a 6 1/2 wide mag alloy with 1" offset drilled for the jag hub, the knock on hubs had to be changed bolt on's. A little flare was needed on the rear arches though. On Dunlop racers and Koni's all round this transformed the car. (all legal back then in pre 70 limit days.) Have to go now
Wife is shouting 'don't start him on Jags' !!