Motor Controller Not Working

antonycartwright

Just Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Hello all,

I've inherited a dead Kaabo Mantis 800w scooter.

I've taken it to pieces.

The 48v battery charges well and holds it's voltage at around 51v.

The motor controller was dead and provided no power to anything else.

The motor hasn't been tested yet.

I bought a replacement motor controller. A cheap generic one. This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384908866065

I've come to test the motor controller. I've connected it to 52v bench power, I've connected the red lock wire to the power. For the throttle, I've used two 5k resistors making a voltage divider. It should result in about half speed. It doesn't work though.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Antony

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Do the 'self learning' display free controllers work out of the box without going through the 'learning' procedure? I dont know not having used one..

But i would imagine not.

Hook it up to the motor and battery and follow the learning procedure for your controller and then test the voltage divider throttle control if necessary perhaps?

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
....... For the throttle, I've used two 5k resistors making a voltage divider. It should result in about half speed. It doesn't work though...........
I think there is a safety feature with most controllers that register an error when you power up with the throttle pressed or the wrong throttle signal voltage as would be your case. You could try powering up the controller first and perhaps then connecting the resistors although I think you would be better off with a proper throttle.

• Agree
Reactions: saneagle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
See above post. At startup, the controller wants to see a voltage of less than 1v on the throttle signal before it allows power.