Moulton tandem conversion

orienteer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2016
West London
Six years ago I had a tandem conversion made for my Moulton ATB, and a Rohloff hub gear fitted. The tandem insert can be removed and the bike used in solo mode, I use it as my off-road bike. I have other Moultons for road use.

Mrs O can't ride solo, so the tandem is how we can cycle together. We tend to pick flattish routes, and especially like old railway track paths. We have cycled several of these in the Peak District. The tandem consists of three sections, and it fits inside the car with just the front section separated.

We'd like to cycle hillier routes, so I have just had an ARCC front hub motor pedelec conversion fitted. It's very good, and uses Bosch 36v power tool batteries. At present these come in 4Ah capacity, which gives less than 20 miles on the tandem, but a 6Ah version is due. With this we'll carry the charger, which is lighter than a spare battery, and recharge the battery at refreshment stops, takes about 30 minutes.

Looking forward to sharing experiences on here!

Reactions: JimRides

orienteer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2016
West London
Here's a pic of me collecting it from ARCC.

The controller and battery clip onto an attachment on the head tube, the motor is in the front hub.

P9202680.JPG

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can see where it comes appart, how is it held together Allen screws?