My first impressions of ezee v's Bionx

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
My friend recently got a Bionx kit and fitted it to his trike and I have an ezee kit fitted to my trike so I thought a comparison was in order.
They are very different beasts so this may help someone choose their style.
Having used the ezee for years I had got used to the power on demand throttle approach and the 20+ mph speeds. When I tried the Bionx I was instantly surprised by the noise - or should I say lack of it, it was totally silent whereas my ezee gears always make a whirring noise. I love the quietness of the Bionx. With the Bionx I was a bit dissapointed with the power and it didn't seem to be assisting much at all until I was told I had to press hard on the pedals as it was a proportional system and then suddely it made sense. The experience was very discreet but I did notice I was doing 18mph fairly easily so it clearly works well. Maybe the higher power kits give more of a kick but this 250W was subtle. The Bionx console is great and the handlebar boost button is rather special - press to get full power and it does whizz along.
In short I was impressed by the normal feel of the trike and amazed by the silence of Bionx. The ezee is a brute of a system and works really well (especially at 48v) but now every time I use it I can't help but notice the noise - damn. Also there did not seem to be much drag from the direct drive Bionx motor, I was expecting to feel it.
Which do I prefer? Hard to say really as I have got used to the power on demand of the ezee and I can be really lazy with it whereas with the Bionx it means pedalling hard all the time - not a bad idea really as it keeps you fit.
Hope this is useful to someone. It's got me thinking.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
That was one of the reasons i went for the bionx, it really is completely silent the tyres make more noise. But i guess i cannot compare as i have never owned another system but i find the assist to be pretty good.