New Bike

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
LINK : Bike Add

Wasn't looking for a new bike but I saw this add and called them up.
Larg sizes were in short supply but managed to get one with a very small scratch and a low cross bar frame.
It looks substantial and well made a I tried it down the road and back up (only 100 yds or so) but it is so different to other e bikes I have ridden (previously had a treck and a halfords )
This one seems so much more powerful.
Can anyone tell me their experiences with the yamaha system and offer any tips to keep it in good condition?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Motor is only 60Nm. Doesn't seen so powerful on paper. Most important thing is that you like it. Enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I saw the 60Nm figure but this is the first time I have owned a crank drive e bike. The Trek one had the Bionx system and the crossfire one has the suntour hub motor. Its extremely early days yet but the effort needed to climb up my street seems tiny almost like you are on a very slight downhill run.
Looking forward to giving it a better work out when the weather improves.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You have a front row seat now each time hub vs mid-drive comes up for discussion!

All my miles have been done on a 40Nm mid-drive, 60 will do you well for anything except extreme offroad.

Most important care aspect is keeping water away from where it should not be. Don't pressure wash, don't even use a hose around the motor, and avoid unnecessary puddles.

Enjoy!

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
You have a front row seat now each time hub vs mid-drive comes up for discussion!

All my miles have been done on a 40Nm mid-drive, 60 will do you well for anything except extreme offroad.

Most important care aspect is keeping water away from where it should not be. Don't pressure wash, don't even use a hose around the motor, and avoid unnecessary puddles.

Enjoy!
Thanks I'm very much a fair weather biker these days and don't stray far off road my other bike han never seen rain but I'll heed your advice on cleaning.
This one seems to be quite a step up in technology from the halfords one but in fairness that is pretty good and a spare battery for that one can be had for £200 or so.
I'm looking forward to doing some leisurely biking this year and living in a very hilly area should not be a huge problem.

Reactions: matthewslack

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Had my first real chance to ride my bike on Sunday. It's quite different to my Carrera bike so I need some practice, gear change on the Carrera is silky smooth but not quite so on the Haibike, power take up is different, and the bike handles differently.
It's easy days but I feel it could use a bigger chain wheel, on the flat and slight down incline it's hard to keep up with the pedal speed, I'm not sure if that would affect the assist take up has anyone experience of this? My bike knowledge is very limited so I need to be a bit careful.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Not great for off road performance wise due to low powered motor (Nm) but ok for roads not really hills, but that is my opinion living in hilly Wales and mine is an 85Nm motor.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Had my first real chance to ride my bike on Sunday. It's quite different to my Carrera bike so I need some practice, gear change on the Carrera is silky smooth but not quite so on the Haibike, power take up is different, and the bike handles differently.
It's easy days but I feel it could use a bigger chain wheel, on the flat and slight down incline it's hard to keep up with the pedal speed, I'm not sure if that would affect the assist take up has anyone experience of this? My bike knowledge is very limited so I need to be a bit careful.
Yes - the power from the motor is going through the drive line - gears and chain so it has a different feel to hub, you need to concentrate a bit to keep in the right gear. I think it would be fine to go with a bigger chain wheel (obviously you'll need a longer chain as well) but my experience is limited to kits.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Not great for off road performance wise due to low powered motor (Nm) but ok for roads not really hills, but that is my opinion living in hilly Wales and mine is an 85Nm motor.
Mine's only a 45Nm rear hub bike !
It's OK on hills - plenty of 15%, 20% and 25% hills on this route through the North York moors

It took under half the estimated time for a non assisted bike (1h 17m vs 2h 36m ) - nearly 1500 ft of climbing

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What tosh! One of my mid-motor e-bikes is 60Nm, the other 80Nm. The difference may seem notable on paper, but out-and-about in reality, I suspect because you're working through gears, that difference is minimal.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I wish they would do the forks at a 100mm minimum. That way at least you can upgrade to a lighter fork. Basic suntour compared to something like RS is usually about 2lbs