New figures reveal 11 deaths from e-bike fires in UK last year, as MPs call for tighter regulations

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Smoke and mirrors. As customers we totally rely on what we are told. There is no way to tell what we buy, unless somebody is willing to compromise warranty, open battery and even then I have no clue how to tell if used cells are class A,B or C.

Speaking of which... I keep looing at your web page... Can't find any information about what cell class you sell. Am I just tired and can't see or is it not there?

Also other critical information is missing like what BMS is used, what is continuous discharge current, what is peak discharge current etc.
Trouble is that even if this information was supplied, it would mean nothing to the majority, and just result in increasing the deluge of figures. I dare say, in Woosh's case, said info would be available if requested.
I don't see what tighter regs would achieve. As said earlier, it's impossible to tell one cell from another if the vendor is re-wrapping.
If I were a vendor I would insist on the best cells with a clear and obvious paper trail. But then I probably wouldn't be i bussiness long because my prices would be too high. What are ya gonna do?:(

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
l. But then I probably wouldn't be i bussiness long because my prices would be too high.
I agree. None of the long standing OEMs would shout out from the rooftop that they only use 'A' cells but you would assume that they do, it's just common sense because they have to cover product liability. There is no point to take a chance with second best.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Problem is we as customers have no way to verify what we buy.
I find process of buying a battery extremely exhausting and frustrating. I am leaning towards importing battery from abroad (against my own advice).
One proven answer is to buy a pedelec and any subsequent batteries from the most highly regarded companies in respect of known battery lives, support and honouring warranties.

They know that their reputation has taken years of hard work to build, but can be lost in a few seconds of poor service, so they usually make very sure not to make that mistake.

But in buying kits and components outside of known reliable brands, one can only use the recommendations of others from their experiences.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and Az.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Speaking of which... I keep looing at your web page... Can't find any information about what cell class you sell. Am I just tired and can't see or is it not there?
I always stick with 'A' cells from Panasonic or Samsung.
I don't make a big deal out of it because the reason is self preservation. If you google CCJ against the two companies I work for since 1981, Solidisk and Woosh Bikes, you won't find any because I wouldn't knowingly take any unnecessary risk for short term gain. The only time I got taken to Court was to the Work Tribunal in 1990 for sacking an employee 1 week before his contract run out. I didn't get fined but had to pay him his week's wage.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I always stick with 'A' cells from Panasonic or Samsung.
Which is great, but is it written on your web page? You tell us it is best to buy batteries made out of A cells, but how customer is going to find it if information is not out there?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Trouble is that even if this information was supplied, it would mean nothing to the majority, and just result in increasing the deluge of figures.
True. When I bought my first battery I knew almost nothing.
Now I am hungry for all the information you can get.

Surprisingly I find Chinese way of describing things quite helpful... but it takes time to get head around their bizarre way of thinking.

I dare say, in Woosh's case, said info would be available if requested.
Most likely. I still prefer to have it accessible on web page without need to bother Andy.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Would company like Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo put their brand on cells that are not A class? In other words if I see battery and in description it says there are (for example) SAMSUNG INR21700-50E cells inside, is it safe to assume they are A class?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To be sure, you need to ask your supplier for A grade cells, they then ask their upstream supplier. The supply chain is usually organised that way. It is a chain of trust, long standing working relationships and ultimately backed by product liability insurance for the 10 years from the moment the product is handed to the end user. You can see the value of trust in long established businesses.