New Forest, 61 tears young, Kona Ute Electric

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
Firstly, thanks to all the forum members who post so much helpful information for those, like me, who are new to the world of pedelecs.

My aims in buying an electric bike are to replace one car, be able to ride 20 miles to one of the best beaches in the UK and then ride home, something I can no longer manage, and carry lots of sailing gear to my local sailing spot. It's amazing just how much gear one takes when going sailing. Car parking anywhere near the launching spot is a nightmare in the summer.

So need a long range load carrier. In the US, "longtails" - cargo carrying bikes - are becoming very popular, although expensive and electric ones even more so. One model available in the UK is the Kona Ute, but the electric version was beyond my means. I did rather want one though.

Searching around, I found the bike was available in a Sale with Chain Reaction Cycles at a much more affordable price Kona Electric Ute Bike 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com so I ordered one.

It came just before Christmas without a battery! As soon as they reopened after Christmas they immediately took a battery off a stock bike and sent it to me. Always nice if a company quickly sort out a problem. I realise buying locally would have been safer and better service, but this way I could at least afford the bike I wanted.

First ride in all the strong wind was a revelation. I laughed at the wind, hills - what hills. I love the way the motor helps so simply. I had been worried that I might not still enjoy my cycling, but I found I enjoyed it even more without the painful into the wind struggle.

For my second ride I thought I would ride 10 miles over to Bucklers Hard and seen how the battery lasted.

Here's the Ute at Keyhaven

Wonderful St Lennards Barn

and journey's end at Bucklers Hard where Nelson's warships were built between the shipwrights cottages.

Here I am, nearly home on Lymington Quay

I rode on Eco for a about 2/3 of the time and on Normal for a 1/3. Went from 4 bars to three bars after about 15 miles. So just one full bar used for 20 miles. So very pleased that my plan to ride 20 miles to the beach and 20 back home look possible.

Brian

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome Brian, nice to see a Kona Ute in action here, and especially an e-version. Great photos of an area I was very familiar with both in my motorbiking teens and in my later boating years.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Brian, nice looking electric cargo bike. I was a bit worried when I bought my un-powered Xtracycle cargo bike, that the ride might be a bit strange but was pleasantly surprised that the long wheelbase gave a reassuring and comfortable ride.
Having owned mine for about 4 years it's been great for doing short shopping trips into town and fairly cut down on my car use. My oldest son now uses it every day for his paper round as well.
Just wish the weather up here was as nice as in your pictures. :)

Last edited:

isthereanalias

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2012
I've loved reading your post, I've had my Electric Ute from CRC for four months now and I love it. I wouldn't be able to ride I bike if it wasn't for the assistance it provides, hence the reason for buying it. It handles so well for a longer bike and feels so good to ride, besides being great to be on two wheels again! I'm able to ride 10 miles on it now which means I can join in bike rides with our children. My husband is also finding good use for it with the panniers to do our weekly shop. I hope one day we can move to a one car family and use our Ute for many more tasks.