New here and I've almost made up my mind on what pedelec to buy!

Liang

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2011
But I am not quite there yet.

This and other forums have been very helpful to me as they made me realize that the battery and the motor are a very important part of it all. You might think this is obvious but I never realized in the beginning of my search there was so much choice and so much variation in quality.

My first choice is I think the Kalkhoff Tasman City, but I am also considering the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 and and maybe the Trek T500+ and the pro connect.

I haven't had a chance to test drive the Trek yet, but that will happen in the near future. The main reason off my doubts now is the higher price of the T500+, the PC and the Tasman and on the other hand the conveniently closed gear-case of the Tasman and the better looks of the PC and the T500+.

I live in the Netherlands and last 2/3 winters were really bad with lots of snow which made it very hard to even use my current Koga Miyata Lightrunner (it has very narrow wheels with practically no profile). This is why I think the Tasman is probably the best choice for me... uhhh that and the fact that I really hate cleaning my bike... ;)

Also I need I bike which will let me sit more upright than my current one. I have problems with my shoulders and neck and this bothers me on my Koga.

If anyone has some input on why I should better take one or the other I would love to hear it! Sorry for my English, it's not my mother language so I probably made some mistakes here and there :eek:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hello Liang and welcome.

Your English is perfect! :D

It sounds like a good idea. My only concern is that I thought there was a lot of bike theft in the Netherlands? There are threads on here advising about really good bike locks.

I too suffer with shoulder (and neck and back) problems so I prefer to sit upright and not lean forward. I know your pain!

I haven't bought an electric bike yet, but I want one.

Penny

Liang

May 6, 2011
Thank you for the compliment Penny!
But I must admit that I sometimes need a translator, especially for words that are not that common :eek:

I'm not really worried about having my bike stolen. It happens, but there are lots of ways to prevent that.
For instance I will never leave an expensive bike at an unsupervised bicycle parking at the train station, that's asking for it. Leaving it in the middle of the night on the street in the city center is another one...
But we have 18 million bikes (on 16 million people) here so on average it is not that bad.
And I always have my bike insured so I get a full refund in case it might get stolen anyway :D

Are you still searching for your perfect bike or have you found one already but haven't bought it yet?

When I first started looking around I couldn't imagine that it would be so difficult to find the right bike!
I'm still not completely sure on which bike to buy, it seems to me that the Kalkhoff is not as strong in giving support as I would like. There were some other while test riding that were giving more power so it seemed.

Nathalie

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I too suffer with shoulder (and neck and back) problems so I prefer to sit upright and not lean forward. I know your pain!
Have you guys considered a two wheel recumbent? My wife is also a sufferer and she was well impressed and I haven't done the electric conversion yet! ... She is going to be so chuffed when I complete the job. Her she is:
YouTube - SPIRIT/Louise's first ride

Liang

May 6, 2011
Have you guys considered a two wheel recumbent? My wife is also a sufferer and she was well impressed and I haven't done the electric conversion yet! ... She is going to be so chuffed when I complete the job. Her she is:
YouTube - SPIRIT/Louise's first ride
Hi kitchenman, thanks for your reply!
I personally don't like this type of bike. I like to see what's ahead of me!
And I also like to be seen too as people tent to look them over (if that's the right way to put it). A co-worker of mine recently killed someone with his truck riding this type of bike because he didn't see him.

Nathalie

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Natalie - yes, I'm still looking. The problem is I can't really justify spending more than £800 but the ones that suit cost a LOT more than that. Its decided which factor will go - and whether to justify the spend....decisions, decisions...... Also there are some within that price range but they are being sold at the other end of the country and I like to try them out....

Kitchenman - thanks for the heads up (or low as in your case - forgive the bad pun) but I really couldn't put myself that low to the ground. I have other ailments to consider and I need to sit up straight. But I appreciate the tip!

Liang

May 6, 2011
Natalie - yes, I'm still looking. The problem is I can't really justify spending more than £800 but the ones that suit cost a LOT more than that. Its decided which factor will go - and whether to justify the spend....decisions, decisions...... Also there are some within that price range but they are being sold at the other end of the country and I like to try them out....
Hmmm, yes that is a problem I'm having here too. There aren't many bicycle shops that sell more then 1 or 2 brands and then they often only have just a few bikes and not the complete range from those brands. The Kalkhoff seller closest to my home had only 2 of the Kalkhoff bikes I'm interested in.
And I too like to try before I buy!
A mega-store of electric bikes with a test track would be nice... :p

Liang

May 6, 2011
Being a 75 year old with an interesting collection of ailments I happily ride an upright* Dutch-style JuicyBike.
Best wishes,
Tom

*haven't seen a downright Dutch bike ....
I never new there was something like a dutch bike! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I never new there was something like a dutch bike! :D
We even have Dutch Bike shops and a Dutch Bike Company in Cambridge and other English locations.

To us a "Dutch bike" is an sit upright styled one with comfortable handlebars, conventional and strong, the sort of thing that suits urban transport, shopping etc.

Ironically there's no such thing as an "English" bike! The term Dutch bike arose long after we abandoned sensible bikes and mostly started riding "mountain" bikes and MTBs.

Liang

May 6, 2011
We even have Dutch Bike shops and a Dutch Bike Company in Cambridge and other English locations.

To us a "Dutch bike" is an sit upright styled one with comfortable handlebars, conventional and strong, the sort of thing that suits urban transport, shopping etc.

Ironically there's no such thing as an "English" bike! The term Dutch bike arose long after we abandoned sensible bikes and mostly started riding "mountain" bikes and MTBs.
I did a little research and for us these are just ordinary bikes without a specific name.
With exception of the "oma fiets" which literally translated means "granny bike" :D

They where really popular when I was young and off course I had one too! But mine was pink instead of black. They were very basic as they only had coaster brakes and no gears.
Lost mine when I got in an accident with a motorcycle :(

At the moment a different version of the oma bike is very popular, the transport bike.
A lot of young people ride one, with or without basket and/or flowers.