New owner of a Haibike sDuro HardSeven

doomo

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2016
Cambs
Hi All,

Im new to the forum. Today was my first ride on the new bike. Good bit of kit. I'm a cyclist anyway but I cant do the 42 mile round trip every day. I brought the Haibike so I can cycle the other days without ruining myself. Im hoping to more or less ditch the car from my daily commute as the traffic around here can be terrible in the mornings.

Before the ride I was concerned about the range but it gobbled up the miles without too much problem:

15 Miles on Standard including a 300 foot climb, then
6 miles on High.
Total 21miles
Time 55 minutes
Arrived at work with 30% of the battery remaining (brought the charger with me to recharge it in the office)

I'm very happy with this so far. However, the real test will be when the wind is its usual 15mph + head wind (SW). This morning it was fairly neutral. I feel confident that it will be OK although in the really bad days I may just have to go a little slower.

I will be replacing the knobbly tyres (as they seem to add a lot of drag) with some road like tyres, and also I have a larger chain ring to go on the front at some point :)

Catch you all soon

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi All,

Im new to the forum. Today was my first ride on the new bike. Good bit of kit. I'm a cyclist anyway but I cant do the 42 mile round trip every day. I brought the Haibike so I can cycle the other days without ruining myself. Im hoping to more or less ditch the car from my daily commute as the traffic around here can be terrible in the mornings.

Before the ride I was concerned about the range but it gobbled up the miles without too much problem:

15 Miles on Standard including a 300 foot climb, then
6 miles on High.
Total 21miles
Time 55 minutes
Arrived at work with 30% of the battery remaining (brought the charger with me to recharge it in the office)

I'm very happy with this so far. However, the real test will be when the wind is its usual 15mph + head wind (SW). This morning it was fairly neutral. I feel confident that it will be OK although in the really bad days I may just have to go a little slower.

I will be replacing the knobbly tyres (as they seem to add a lot of drag) with some road like tyres, and also I have a larger chain ring to go on the front at some point :)

Catch you all soon
If you can do 20+ miles at average of about 23mph I think you will be catching all of us very soon.

Presumably you have a dongle, if don't you would be faster on a road bike.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
With standard gears your legs are going to be a blur at those speeds?

I know Cambridge is flat but those speeds with standard gears, 21 miles!

doomo

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2016
Cambs
Some 4 months since the purchase and I've now done nearly 1300 miles on the bike. The winter riding has been fairly brutal even with many layers, gloves, balaclava etc.

Since then I fitted a 48T chain ring which allows for a very decent top speed, upgraded the bike to have 2" road like tyres running at 75psi, and some aero bars to get down out of the wind as much as possible on the straights. Cruising speed has gone up a lot with all of these mods and it is much nicer to ride (I hated the original tires it came with).

It is still running the original cassette with no obvious signs of wear.

I've noticed that the very cold weather murders the battery life and to make my commute when there is a head wind (without dipping into the last 10% which totally cuts the power delivery) I have to manage the battery a bit. The best way of doing this I've found is to ride in 9th, switch to standard assist, and pedal with a pretty high cadence. In standard assist the system really tails the power off at the higher cadence (it does not do this in high assist). As a result, the battery usage is reduced considerably at the expense of only a couple of mph on the cruising speed. It also means I get to put in a good bit of effort myself (like when riding the road bike) so good training for when the weather warms and the road bike comes out again.