New to the elec scene

Big-Damo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2016
Petersfield, Hampshire
Damian, I can only suggest that you try both, but owning a KTM Macina Lycan and a Macina Race, I'm clearly going to be biased towards the KTM option.

There are dealers closer to you that stock KTM bikes, and a starting point would be to either contact FLI Distribution http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/ or KTM directly via this forum. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/members/ktm-bike-industries-uk.8115/

I'd take it as given that e-bike shop won't be interested in servicing your bike for you.

There certainly KTM dealers in Brighton and Tunbridge Wells, and if you are ever in the Crowborough area, you would be more than welcome to come out for a ride on one of my bikes. Both are large size frames.

Out of interest, what is it that has attracted you to those two specific models?
Many thanks Eddie (and everyone else) there is a lot of food for thought there and really appreciate the offer of a test ride. I will send flidistribution a message in the coming week now that I am off shift and look at trying to get it closer to home. I have always been a KTM fan and originally the money was going to go towards a new 690 SMC-R (Supermoto) but thought better think healthy first and look at getting the motorbike next year, against the wishes of SWMBO as that is what nearly caused me to lose my leg in the first place. You know what it's like though once you've got the bug it's difficult to let go haha.
Reason for looking into those two particular bike was due to the fact that when I was a lot younger/fitter I used to do a fair bit of off-roading. We travel out and up into the pyrenees a lot and see quite a few people venturing out on their bikes, hence wanting to get a high spec bike to follow suit.
Anyway, really appreciate the kind advice you people have offered and with a little luck I will be placing an order in the next week. Not sure what the lead times will be with regards to delivery etc but with Xmas and New Year ahead of us it may be a bit of a wait till I get it in my hands.
Once I do I'll post some pics up.
Many thanks once again.
Damian

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The 690 sounds good. :) I came close several years ago to buying a 640 Supermoto, but after a test ride decided that my licence wouldn't last a week! :D

Ref the KTM/Haibike and the Pyrenees, you will have no problem with a lower spec bike. :) http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-ready-for-the-2016-swiss-alps-trip.24845/
It might pay to negotiate a price for a second battery though when you buy a bike. One battery isn't really enough for mountainous terrain.

edit.. In respect of contacting FLI, you might find that they will be closed over the Xmas period.

Big-Damo

Dec 14, 2016
Petersfield, Hampshire
edit.. In respect of contacting FLI, you might find that they will be closed over the Xmas period.
Thanks for the heads up Eddie :thumb:

I'm in no hurry at the moment, I want to make sure I get the right bike that I feel comfortable on :)

Must say though after watching all the videos in the Alps post, posted earlier (I have watched each and every one) I soooo want to get out and on a bike again :)

Big-Damo

Dec 14, 2016
Petersfield, Hampshire
Well, I've taken all the advice onboard (appreciate all the advice) and have finally received the bike.
There were a few delays in getting the bike from KTM due to issues with paint/decals so it had put the order back a few weeks but to say I am smitten with it, is an understatement

As this is my first "Full Suspension" bike I have been playing around with the pressures trying to get the "Sag" dialed in. The tool list has gone through the roof. I've bought 2 suspension pumps, 1st pump, Rockshox digital 300psi and the 2nd Rockshox 600psi to save effort pumping to reach 300psi if needed (I am a rather large chap).

Ive installed a Gemini Titan (8 cell) light on the front for some fun night riding but that seems to be about as far as I've gone with it, ohh and changed the seat for something a little more comfortable. Next decision is whether to change the pedals and go for clips. Undecided on that one for the moment.

Anyway here she is:-

IMG_2157.JPGIMG_2160.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like a haitm :D

• :D
Reactions: Big-Damo

Big-Damo

Dec 14, 2016
Petersfield, Hampshire
looks like a haitm :D
I was debating (for quite some time) whether to get the Haibike or the KTM but just didnt like the extra little chain sprocket next to the crank on the Haibike. It may be clever technology but to me it was another bearing that could fail or be over stressed. And being that I have always liked KTM/Husqvarna motocross, I don't doubt that the Haibike is an awesome bit of kit but think I was always swaying towards the KTM ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im on my 4th bearing now but there only 3 quid ;)